Forum home The potting shed

Chelsea inspiration

What is on your want list? Or have you got some plants you'd like to try in a different planting combination? Apparently triangles, multicolored and naturalistic planting are very chelsea 2016...????

I really want a copper-orange verbascum. I ordered some cherry helen from jparkers last year but the modules didn't survive... I've never seen one in a GC. Going to GWL so i hope i'll find one there!

• fidgetbonesfidgetbones Derbyshire but with a Nottinghamshire postcode. Posts: 16,461

Winning the eurosquillions would be a start.imageimage

• Would swap a ticket to Chelsea for a dozen spring cabbage plants anytime! image

• punkdocpunkdoc Sheffield, Derbyshire border.Posts: 13,019

I would swap a spring cabbage, for a dozen trips to Chelsea, so we would be ok. David image

There are ashtrays of emulsion,
    for the fag ends of the aristocracy.
  • NatbatNatbat Posts: 62

Having been to Chelsea yesterday (yay!) I came back on the bus, and then car with three rusty obelisks which were inspired by the many on sale... a big blue hat, which was inspired by what everyone else was wearing... an old planting trowel and onion hoe?... seeds for plants I saw in the Great Pavillion, such as Lathyrus Odoratus, Ruby Moon bean, Aquilegia Canadensis.... some strawberry runners... and so many pictures of plants I want to grow. Lots of money spent, but I did manage to bring packed lunch.

Are we allowed to post pictures from the day?

imageimage

I've also come back with a thirst to do and learn more. I have a night shift tonight so off to do some weeding on the plot, dig over my potatoes and then plant out my tomatoes, strawberries and a few seeds. Never enough time in the day. I'm desperate to finish paving my back garden as I came back from Chelsea and felt very sad seeing my little garden looking piles up with pavers, sand and random toot.

• Julie LanteriJulie Lanteri Posts: 133

Fidgetbones, i'm new to gardening but i see chelsea like a catwalk: we're not going to spend £1000s on a new dress but it can give ideas on colours and shapes that could work for us.

David and Punkdoc, looks like you could make a deal! ?

Natbat, thanks for the pictures! I'm partial to rusty plants supports so very jealous of your obelisks... interesting seeds you got there too (thank you Mr Google). I bet a lot of people feel a bit deflated when going back to their own garden. Did you manage to do all you set out to do? Quite a list...

Really like the look of Isoplexis caneriensis, a half hardy foxglove relative. May need to buy that.

• fidgetbonesfidgetbones Derbyshire but with a Nottinghamshire postcode. Posts: 16,461

Isn't that the one they bred illumination pink from?  Not quite as hardy as they said.!! Still if you know its half hardy.....

• Julie LanteriJulie Lanteri Posts: 133

It caught my eye too, punkdoc ?

some combos I noted:

Blue aquilegia, orlaya

pink rose, dark aquilegia, copper verbascum

salvia, orange californian poppy, copper verbascum, umbellifer

Geum, copper iris, grass, cerinthe

dark rose, salvia, cirsium

i DO need that verbascum!

Yes you are right fidget, but it is a much prettier plant, and hopefully I could keep it alive in a cold greenhouse.