Forum home The potting shed

Chelsea inspiration

What is on your want list? Or have you got some plants you'd like to try in a different planting combination? Apparently triangles, multicolored and naturalistic planting are very chelsea 2016...????

I really want a copper-orange verbascum. I ordered some cherry helen from jparkers last year but the modules didn't survive... I've never seen one in a GC. Going to GWL so i hope i'll find one there!

• fidgetbonesfidgetbones Posts: 14,703

Winning the eurosquillions would be a start.imageimage

You don't stop doing new things because you get old, you get old because you stop doing new things. <3
  • Would swap a ticket to Chelsea for a dozen spring cabbage plants anytime! image

• punkdocpunkdoc Sheffield, Derbyshire border.Posts: 8,530

I would swap a spring cabbage, for a dozen trips to Chelsea, so we would be ok. David image

Did they tear it out with talons of steel
    And give you a shot, so that you wouldn't feel?
    And washed it away as if it wasn't real?
  • NatbatNatbat Posts: 62

Having been to Chelsea yesterday (yay!) I came back on the bus, and then car with three rusty obelisks which were inspired by the many on sale... a big blue hat, which was inspired by what everyone else was wearing... an old planting trowel and onion hoe?... seeds for plants I saw in the Great Pavillion, such as Lathyrus Odoratus, Ruby Moon bean, Aquilegia Canadensis.... some strawberry runners... and so many pictures of plants I want to grow. Lots of money spent, but I did manage to bring packed lunch.

Are we allowed to post pictures from the day?

imageimage

I've also come back with a thirst to do and learn more. I have a night shift tonight so off to do some weeding on the plot, dig over my potatoes and then plant out my tomatoes, strawberries and a few seeds. Never enough time in the day. I'm desperate to finish paving my back garden as I came back from Chelsea and felt very sad seeing my little garden looking piles up with pavers, sand and random toot.

• Julie LanteriJulie Lanteri Posts: 133

Fidgetbones, i'm new to gardening but i see chelsea like a catwalk: we're not going to spend £1000s on a new dress but it can give ideas on colours and shapes that could work for us.

David and Punkdoc, looks like you could make a deal! ?

Natbat, thanks for the pictures! I'm partial to rusty plants supports so very jealous of your obelisks... interesting seeds you got there too (thank you Mr Google). I bet a lot of people feel a bit deflated when going back to their own garden. Did you manage to do all you set out to do? Quite a list...

Really like the look of Isoplexis caneriensis, a half hardy foxglove relative. May need to buy that.

• fidgetbonesfidgetbones Posts: 14,703

Isn't that the one they bred illumination pink from?  Not quite as hardy as they said.!! Still if you know its half hardy.....

You don't stop doing new things because you get old, you get old because you stop doing new things. <3
  • Julie LanteriJulie Lanteri Posts: 133

It caught my eye too, punkdoc ?

some combos I noted:

Blue aquilegia, orlaya

pink rose, dark aquilegia, copper verbascum

salvia, orange californian poppy, copper verbascum, umbellifer

Geum, copper iris, grass, cerinthe

dark rose, salvia, cirsium

i DO need that verbascum!

Yes you are right fidget, but it is a much prettier plant, and hopefully I could keep it alive in a cold greenhouse.