Anyone a member of RHS?

Just wondered what your experience of being a member is?

I probably wouldn't visit many gardens, so if that's the main benefit, then it might not be worth it for me personally.

But is there anything else worthwhile, if you don't do the garden visits?

Thanks!

• Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 17,594

I'd say if you don't visit the gardens, it's a bit pricey just to get the magazine.

Devon.
  • Ladybird4Ladybird4 Third rock from the sunPosts: 19,161

Hi Geum. I have been a member of the RHS for more years than I care to remember. If I put my sensible hat on then the annual charge is quite high and I would probably say it may not be worth it. I get quite cross with all the 'bumf' that comes in the monthly magazine - resenting the time it takes me to put it in my recycling bin - but I suppose as a charity the RHS has to make some money somewhere. I also get a little annoyed with the fact that they seem to allocate 85% of their coverage to South of the Wash (no offence intended if you live in the South!) I like the fact I can visit places for free and get priority as a member when I go to Garden shows. Summing all up, I rarely wear my sensible hat and I will continue as a member. It does contain a wealth of information.

Cacoethes: An irresistible urge to do something inadvisable
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 47,848

I usually do two or three gardens a year, and the magazine is great - very interesting in depth articles - I originally joined in order to get free analysis of strange markings on plant leaves for possible disease etc.  

I think that it's just about value for money for me.  

"...tea and toasted buttered currant buns, can't compensate for lack of sun because the summer's all gone..."   Autumn Almanac - Ray Davies

ladybird, I open the bag at the top and, as I remove the magazine, give it a little shake and " all the bumf" falls to the bottom of the bag.

Devon.
  • geum keenbutgreengeum keenbutgreen Posts: 509

Thanks folks - it looks like it's iffy as to whether I'd get my money's worth then. I'll think about it for a bit longer image

• plant pauperplant pauper Posts: 6,223

I've done that in shops before they started to put them in bags. image

• Ladybird4Ladybird4 Third rock from the sunPosts: 19,161

Thanks for the tip Hostafan image By the way, would that work for getting my duvet back into its cover????

Cacoethes: An irresistible urge to do something inadvisable

I'd have to ask my cleaner on that one. image

Devon.

geum, as a member , you can take a guest free of charge to the RHS gardens. If you did that a couple of times a year, plus the magazine???? Maybe??

I take Lyn to Rosemoor and also visit with Hubby too. We pop into Wisley ( The Surrey Creche ) when up country too ,if we've time.

Devon.
  • KT53KT53 Posts: 2,526

I suspect that where you live will have a major impact on the value for money of membership.  I'm not aware of any RHS gardens in our area (Gloucestershire), and discounts for entry to shows is really minimal against the cost of membership.

It certainly wouldn't be good value for me.