Forum home Talkback

Outdoor container ideas

Juniper4Juniper4 CheshirePosts: 58

As I newbie to gardening, I was wondering if I could get some advice.

I planted an olive tree in a pot last year. As a front porch feature. 

Its looking abit bare around the base of the plant. I was planning to put some trailing plants and some scented ones round it.

The question is - do I re-pot it into another container or can i use the same pot.

If I use the same pot and don't disturb it, can I plant the plants into the soil that's in it now. Or do I dig out part of the top soil and put fresh compost in it?image

The other option is - could I put succulent plants directly into current soil?

Last edited: 23 May 2016 22:50:27

• ButtercupdaysButtercupdays Posts: 3,127

Leave the olive alone in its pot, it doesn't need the competition, but you could add a more decorative mulch. Get a couple of other pots and make a group there to grow your seasonal flowers. If you get ornamental pots, buy plastic ones at the same time that will fit inside. Then you can lift the plastic ones out to change your display easily.

• Ladybird4Ladybird4 Third rock from the sunPosts: 29,743

I don't think itis necessary to re pot and you could certainly use all the options you have mentioned. I would definitely remove a little of the topsoil and add fresh compost - whichever option you decide upon.

Cacoethes: An irresistible urge to do something inadvisable
  • KT53KT53 Posts: 4,500

Just try and replace the top 2 or 3 inches of compost and plant training plants into that.