Forum home Plants

Carnivorous Plants; UK native.

ClaringtonClarington Posts: 4,949

Is anyone here a carnivorous hobby grower in the UK that might permit me to bombard them with questions?

• fidgetbonesfidgetbones Posts: 16,163

I'm more of an omnivore.image

You don't stop doing new things because you get old, you get old because you stop doing new things. <3
  • darren636darren636 Posts: 666

Elstead common have plenty of native sundews.

Drosera Anglica

Tiny cute things 

I have a large Australian version.

Last edited: 23 May 2016 21:47:02

• ClaringtonClarington Posts: 4,949

Philippa I have a pitcher that floats in a basket in my pond. It was in there all winter (froze solid) and is now flowering! I want to add some others too it (I am fascinated by carnivorous plants) but could do with advice even if it is just limited to where to get them from!

• fidgetbonesfidgetbones Posts: 16,163
    You don't stop doing new things because you get old, you get old because you stop doing new things. <3
  • KeenOnGreenKeenOnGreen Posts: 1,677

I have been growing Sarracenia for years and also have Venus Fly traps and Heliamphora Nutans. No expert but happy to share my trials and errors. 

Cheers Fidget; have you used that company? I've found a few places but would love recommendations.

Keenongreen; where did you get yours from? do they live outside all year?

Sarracenia are outdoors and will not do well indoors as it is too dry and they mess a period of cold dormancy each year.  Mine get attacked by Aphids in Spring which twists the pitchers, so I keep them in the greenhouse till the pitchers are fully formed.  Venus fly traps are also better outdoors. If you want an indoor plant, I have found that Heliamphora Nutans thrives indoors. Mine is in a cloche on an east facing window. All of these plants need rainwater. Got most of mine from Hampshire Carnivorous plants. 

That's beautiful KeenbutGreen. I'm looking at plants for the garden (around and floating in pots in the pond since it attracts quite the flying feast for them).

Sarracenia would be ideal.  They like boggy conditions around pond margins. Floating in pots would be too wet for them as they are not aquatic plants. 

Here's my floater! As you can see it sits proudly above the surface and I lined the pot with plastic so that it isn't *in* the pond so much as floating around in a bucket. I'm going to experiment with gluing gravel to the pot to disguise the black flotation part of it without weighing it down too much so that it submerged the plant.