Forum home Talkback

Chelsea 2016: Modern Slavery Garden. WTF?

jeninkentjeninkent Posts: 77

A Modern Slavery Garden? Really?

What the hell is that all about?

• Ladybird4Ladybird4 Third rock from the sunPosts: 29,733

I think I live on a different planet. The Chelsea show gardens are works of art but they are not gardens. I do not like the sterile expanses of rock, chrome and glass. I am not denying they have their own beauty but not gardens in my eyes.

Cacoethes: An irresistible urge to do something inadvisable
  • B3B3 Posts: 15,018

It's gone the way of cookery competitions  - further and further from reality . It's not about gardening. It's about admiring the emperor's new clothes. 

In London. Keen but lazy.
  • punkdocpunkdoc Sheffield, Derbyshire border.Posts: 8,546

I love them.

Cleve West and Andy Sturgeons gardens, are, IMO beautiful.

Some of the small gardens are designed to be contemporary works of art, with a message, which I thought the modern slavery garden did.

D. Gavins garden made me laugh, which was what he set out to do.

Chelsea is theatre, most of the gardens are not meant to be like your own garden, but I still find ideas, and many of the planting combinations are divine.

There are always new plants on display, and plants that you have not seen before.

Chacun a son gout. 

Did they tear it out with talons of steel
    And give you a shot, so that you wouldn't feel?
    And washed it away as if it wasn't real?
  • B3B3 Posts: 15,018

I suppose you're right PD . I must admit that I look at the ascot coverage to see the daft hats and move on when they're talking about horseracing so I can't really complain .

In London. Keen but lazy.
  • KT53KT53 Posts: 4,496

I haven't seen the garden so can't comment on that.  Modern slavery is a very real problem.  When I worked for the DWP (Dept of Work and Pensions) we had a situation where a number of people with learning difficulties had been rescued from imprisonment and effectively forced labour.  Our involvement was in getting them signed up for benefits.  It isn't just a 3rd world thing.

What did seem ridiculous to me though was that the BBC coverage gave more emphasis to the fact that the designer was both female AND from an 'ethnic minority' than to the garden itself.  I really couldn't care less if the garden was designed by a man, woman or the person in the moon (non gender specific reference to keep the PC brigade happy).

Last edited: 24 May 2016 08:21:23

• Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 26,165

To be fair, it's got us talking, tentatively , about modern slavery. 

Raising awareness of that is worthy indeed.

Devon.
  • Aster2Aster2 Posts: 629

Indeed. 27 million people enslaved worldwide? I'd had no idea. Appalling.

• PalaisglidePalaisglide Posts: 3,414

Are they gardens or pictures to hang on a wall. We gardeners never have everything ready at once it is impossible so Chelsea is a garden of dreams and fleeting ones at that. As to making a point the press took the designer of the slave garden to task at the weekend, why? every other garden is making some sort of point lets face it how long could you live with some of them, as to swiveling trees no thanks.

Watching the parade of fading so called Celebs reminded me of the strutting Peacocks I saw standing Guard at Brancepeth Castle, they ruled the roost unlike the people trying hard to get themselves noticed. My way would be to select brilliant Gardeners from all walks of life for the Queens private viewing much more realistic.

Too much talk not enough showing of the small gardens and for the BBC too much advertising, only my opinion of course you are allowed to differ.

Frank.

• I think the designer did a good job in her interview highlighting the fact that garden design is somewhat of a middle class profession because of the costs involved in training and getting qualified precludes us lesser mortals from entering the profession. I thought it was cringeworthy when they were going on about her being BME and female. Sometimes the Beeb is so like an old boys club.