Watering

MynxMynx Posts: 101

Should you water your veg (tomatoes, cucumber, runner beans, dwarf beans and mangetout) every night at this stage of their growth or not? Thank you image

• tigerburnietigerburnie Posts: 61

If they are outside and not under cover, I don't water at night as there's still a chance of a big temperature drop, I prefer to water first thing in the morning myself. Under glass is up to you, plants shouldn't get too dry.

• MynxMynx Posts: 101

Thanks tigerburnie, I will water them in the morning from now, never thought about the temperature drop image

• Guernsey Donkey2Guernsey Donkey2 Posts: 6,588

I prefer to water in the morning too - most slugs come out at night - especially if the soil is moist from watering or raining.

• Green MagpieGreen Magpie Posts: 802

I don't water every day, unless it's very dry and hot . Mangetout certainly don't need daily watering, and may not need watering at all until they're podding. Beans and toms and cucumbers like a good drink, but not necessarily every day.

• Stuart RStuart R Posts: 42

Personally I water anything planted in the ground once a week in spring, cucumbers are probably the exception on your list.. If plants are kept dryer in Spring when there's little chance of them keeling over from the heat, they will develop a more extensive root system in search of water, which is unnecessary if water is always close at hand.  In my experience this 'tough love' approach to watering produces much stronger plants with roots that can really take advantage of your feeding later in the season, and are capable of surviving if there's a dry spell whilst you are on your summer holiday! 

Some other plants, primarily brassicas are likely to bolt if soil becomes too dry at any time of the year, so don't take this approach with your cabbages/pak choi's etc. :)

Last edited: 24 May 2016 11:21:43

• tigerburnietigerburnie Posts: 61

I'd agree about over watering, your soil will dictate how often water/feed is required, I was on thin sandy soil as I'm only a mile from the sea, now using compost/manure in raised beds means my watering regime is different. I poke my finger in, if comes out dry, I water, if it is wet I don't(I also have a fair bit of fleece on things which also can dry out the soil)

I agree to a point Stuart - if I have put in some new (small) plants I will water them on alternate days for a week or so - feed once a week too. Green house plants are watered everyday when it is sunny - they dry out so quickly especially seedlings and small plants. Veg. patch gets two watering a week if it is a dry spell. My plants in terracotta pots are watered every other day unless it rains of course.

• cornellycornelly Posts: 818

Veg plot never gets watered unless there is a long dry spell, containers on a daily basis, and fed once a week,newly planted plants water to get them established but not after, again unless there is a long dry spell.

It seems that we are due to have a long dry spell of weather here so the hose will be coming out tomorrow morning. We get a fair amount of wind which dries things out quickly, but I have now stopped drip watering and give plants a long soak but less often than I used to do.

• michael mpcmichael mpc Posts: 422

hi all I am inclined to aggre with most of above (never water garden only if drout ) greenhouse about every 2 days if normal  toms I water from bottom and feed from top  ////when LOL we have long sun days  I have some flat bottom  grow bag trays I put my flowers and veg plants on the trays and just water trays /outside toms on plant bowls   its all little ways you pick up ideas      imageimageMichael