Forum home The potting shed

Titchmarsh oin Chelsea FS 2016 Compost Heap?

Has Titchmarsh retired from the TV coverage of the Chelsea Flower Show?

• Ladybird4Ladybird4 Third rock from the sunPosts: 29,677

There's something about Joe Swift that I cannot really take to. Poor man - he's done nothing wrong. Its just me.

Cacoethes: An irresistible urge to do something inadvisable
  • FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 35,076

He stopped doing it a few years ago mr swann.

It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• Shrinking VioletShrinking Violet Posts: 1,128

It's Monty Don, various talking heads and slebs these days.  There are a few rays of sunshine when they leave the over-hyped designer gardens and look at a few plants. 

• KT53KT53 Posts: 4,485
    Ladybird4 says:

There's something about Joe Swift that I cannot really take to. Poor man - he's done nothing wrong. Its just me.

See original post

Not just you - me too.  He may be a very nice man for all I know, but he comes across so patronisingly I could slap him.

• Ladybird4Ladybird4 Third rock from the sunPosts: 29,677

KT53. whew I thought it was me just being a meany so I'm glad to have found a kindred spirit.

Cacoethes: An irresistible urge to do something inadvisable
  • ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 22,168

Alan Titchmarsh started his career in horticulture when he left school aged 15.  It was all he'd ever wanted to do and he went from parks apprentice to college and then Kew where he continued his studies and became a staff trainer.  He became a journalist working on magazines, radio and TV and wrote books on gardening.  He is a vice-president of the RHS and a Victoria medal holder and an ambassador.  He has designed a gold medal garden for Chelsea, presented GW for several years, Ground Force and also made the excellent How to be a Gardener series.   He's also presented chat shows, written novels and done programmes on UK natural history.  Bit of a Renaissance man.

He presented Chelsea on the Beeb for 30 years but stood down when they, in their wisdom, cut his hours to the BBC 1 show and gave the BBC 2 in-depth coverage of horticulture to a hobby gardener presenter with no previous TV gardening experience.

Monty Don is a nice chap and passionate about his garden but he's not a designer and has no horticultural qualifications.   However, he does write well and communicates well about his own garden tho what he does in it is sometimes controversial for the wrong reasons.   I doubt he is held in the same respect as AT by the world class designers and plantsmen and women at Chelsea.

I don't like Joe Swift either and find his manner deeply irritating except when he presented a series on front garden design a few years ago.

Last edited: 22 May 2016 23:05:54

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
  • punkdocpunkdoc Sheffield, Derbyshire border.Posts: 8,540

Agree about Joe Swift, unpleasant man.

I don't understand why having no horticultural qualifications is an issue, regarding MD. Aren't all of us who build a garden, designers?

Did they tear it out with talons of steel
    And give you a shot, so that you wouldn't feel?
    And washed it away as if it wasn't real?
  • ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 22,168

Yes, but not trained and not always successful in his own garden no matter how well he can talk about design in other gardens.   MD is supposed to be teaching us the how, when and why of gardening so we get the best from our own space and resources.

He is now on at least the 3rd reincarnation of his "mound" because he's made a mess of it so far - bad design and not thinking things through.  I have to wonder what he's going to do when all those climbers have scrambled up over those hazel poles on his new structure and then have nowhere to go but down in a horrible heap when those poles inevitably rot in a few years time.

Why couldn't he just use wires or properly treated timbers instead of his ubiquitous hazel poles?  I for one don't have the time or funds to keep doing things again and again.

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
  • I heard AT himself say that he had no choice but to go in to gardening, as his father had "told" him to do.  Coming from a working class background, his family'd decided that was a safe occupation for him, as he'd always be able to find employment.  His own real interestrs were theatrical but his father wouldn't countenance such an "improper" idea.

Members of my own family liked him as a gardener; as a novelist they chose not to think of him...

Whenever I, personally, saw any of his gardening programmes I always found him offensively smug.  Fairly recently, I saw one of his Love Your Garden programmes where he was hideously vulgar, talking to one of the young girls there.

It seems to me that he's tried to cultivate a c'leb persona, but often managed to simply drop names, mispronounce "classy" items or misunderstand the multivalence of certain words and their own specific meaning within a given context.

Always expensively dressed but never classy; always searching for the erudite, impressive term but so often failing.

However, I do not doubt he has very loyal admirers, like one elderly lady who nearly lost her dentures whilst she was yelling at the BBC for replacing him with MD as the Chelsea lead presenter; and as we all know, he became so offended that he refused to appear at all!

• Entirely off point, but someone told me yesterday at Joe Swift's dad is the guy who played Richard Bucket in Keeping Up Appearances, and his mother is the author Margaret Drabble. Whaddya know.

Last edited: 23 May 2016 07:42:10