Forum home The potting shed

Grrrrrr......

Grrrr…. I am so angryimage. I got back from garden centre a couple of hours ago, where I bought some weed killer for the drive. Went through the checkout and paid for the plants etc. I had bought. It seemed expensive so I checked the bill….. the weedkiller which had the price £4.99 on the shelf, had been charged at £12.99 image. I’m afraid my ladylike disposition went out of the window as my husband, who is going deaf, couldn’t hear me calling him to come back with the trolley. Startled looks all round from customers in the car park, as I yelled to him at the top of my voice image.

I went back in to complain and saw two members of staff, not in uniform but bearing name badges as managers, I attempted to explain to them how angry I was and why, but they just said, "can’t help you now, we have a priority to do with cash to deal with."  “Oh”, says I, “aren’t customers your top priority? I guess not”. They dealt with me then image.  The weedkiller was right at the bottom of a three tier shelving unit, with no other price ticket on there, so it hadn't been muddled up with another brand. I got the weed killer at the reduced price, but I am still so annoyed that they put the wrong price on the shelf. My mother, in her pensioner years, was always being caught out by wrong prices and it infuriates me.

While I was berating the supervisors my husband, said sheepishly… “I’ll just wait outside for you”, he knows the best course of action to takeimage.

On a brighter note, I bought some more lupins and verbena and acquilegia, so I didn’t do too badly image.

• Ladybird4Ladybird4 Third rock from the sunPosts: 29,766

Ha ha Mynx. Do you feel better now having got all that off your chest. I kick off too if I feel I am being badly done to.

Cacoethes: An irresistible urge to do something inadvisable
  • MynxMynx Posts: 101

I do Ladybird4, thank you image.  I can now happily continue with my weeding image.

• Shrinking VioletShrinking Violet Posts: 1,128

In my experience, saying something like, "I wonder if you can help me?  I think this may be wrong . . . " brings more assistance than if it seems a bit more confrontational.  It may turn out that I was wrong, or that the staff had somehow got it wrong - but it gets sorted in double-quick time. 

Another opening is to say "I find it hard to complain about something, but I am concerned that . . . " and lo and behold, you have got the staff on your side from the outset.

If neither of the above works, then it's more than justified to insist on proper attention, asking for the manager if needs be. 

You attract more flies with honey than with vinegar, so I heard once. (though why you would want to attract flies goodness only knows!!!) 

• KT53KT53 Posts: 4,507

Being polite doesn't always work either.  Many years ago my mother said to the sales person in a local shop "Excuse me, I think you've given me the wrong change".  The response was "I don't give the wrong change, I know what you gave me".  My mum said "OK.  I must have got it wrong" and left.

Mum was trying to tell the lady she had given her change of a tenner when mum had given her a fiverimage

This was in the days when staff were responsible for any shortage in their tills.  I would love to have seen her face at the end of the day when the penny dropped.

• TootlesTootles Posts: 1,469

That's so funny KT53!

I had a horrible confrontation this weekend.  Yet another dog walker straying from the public footpath with dogs off the lead. Both dogs and owner ended up in our garden. I went out to find the owner shouting at them angrily while climbing over our gate.  She had no control over them and couldn't get them back on their leads. When she grabbed one it pulled away so sharply that its collar came off.  I politely pointed out the sign asking people to keep their dogs on leads and tried to explain that our neighbours cat was mauled and killed by a dog in our garden only 6 weeks ago.  I was told to f-off!  She said she had complete control over her dogs....as they were running wild in our garden!

I was a bit taken aback to say the least! When I asked her to get off our private property and take her dogs with her, it took her 10 minutes to round them up, even then she couldn't get them on leads.  She departed by telling me to f-off once again. Unbelievable!! 

Flabergasted at just how irresponsible some people are.  Grrrrrrr indeed. 

I am never rude or impolite to the cashier staff Shrinking Violet, and I always go and double check that I have observed the price correctly on the shelves first, it is when the managerial staff are unhelpful that I tend to get annoyed - the cashier staff are only scanning through the barcodes, they are unaware of the price on the shelf, but when you are told by the managers they are too busy to help it is a bit much. I think I am probably more alert than most on prices as I used to take my mother shopping and with her failing eyesight I had to read prices out to her, consequently I seemed to find every mistake in the supermarket!!  The funny side of it was that my mother would always say "how much???" very loudly in an indignant voice when told the price, much to my embarrassment image.

• Shrinking VioletShrinking Violet Posts: 1,128

Not suggesting rudeness Mynx - just passing on what I have found over time.  Doesn't always hold true, of course, and there are occasions when being more forthright works wonders.  Personally, I hate the fact that the staff have name badges - but no surnames.  It always sounds so much more official if you can say "What are you intending to do about it Ms. Smith?" than calling her "Kirsty" or whatever.

I was in Morrisons and was castigated by the till person for daring to have 11 items in my basket rather than "10 or less".  I pointed out it was "fewer" not "less" and lobbed one item out of the basket in, I have to admit, a rather petulant manner.  Oh, dear - I wasn't proud of myself, but I felt as if I had scored a minor victory!

Thanks SV, I didn't take it that you were, (it can be very difficult to judge a persons tone by words alone, so I just assume everyone is being nice and helpful until they shout at me by using capitals lol). I do like that saying you mentioned about flies, I shall use that next time I am calming OH down image.