The blue 'Privacy settings' box in the bottom right corner is a new legal requirement under GDPR (General Data Protection Regulation). It can’t be dismissed or hidden as the idea is that it must be easy to access at all times should you wish to change your settings.

shaded yard -tree pollen

Evening all.

I'm planning on planting a tree in a large container (a bath) in a partially shaded spot -would like to provide for bees or moths -any ideas?

am also looking for ideas for shrubs, etc for very shaded ground level situation.

ta!

• Ladybird4Ladybird4 Third rock from the sunPosts: 17,661

Hi MChiz. It all rather depends on how partially shaded the area is. What about a family apple tree? Are the shrubs going in the bath too?

Cacoethes: An irresistible urge to do something inadvisable
  • ButtercupdaysButtercupdays Posts: 2,095

How wlll you prevent the bath becoming waterlogged?

If you can't, try dogwood, Cornus alba elegantissima, makes a large beautiful shrub, wll grow quite tall if left unpruned, wth attractive shape and a tracery of dark red twiggy growth in winter, pretty white variegated leaves in summer and white flowers in spring. Grows in boggy soil.

Last edited: 22 May 2016 08:20:21

• MChizMChiz Posts: 12

Hi Ladybird & Buttercup.

it's a north facing back yard -gets some sun at the far end in the morning. The top of the tree (so long as it's 6ft tall) would be in the sun for most of the day.

It's a large bath so would grow a tree a couple of small shrubs and hostas. Maybe a fern or 2.

I had hoped that the plug hole, covered with crock, would be enough drainage? It's a metal bath so I would always drill more holes?