Forum home Problem solving

Chicken Manure Maggots!

Hi all,

This afternoon I dug out a container of Westland Chicken Manure Pellets, which have been stored at the back of my shed for a couple of years.

I applied several handfuls to my Tomato Plants and then saw a couple of maggots. After going through the tub, there are quite a number of these grubs (approx 5 - 10MM. long).

I have never noticed this before and was wondering if anyone has come across this and more importantly, whether they may damage my young plants?

Thank you in advance!

• BLTBLT Posts: 525

Thanks for the tip, I have a tub of the very same age pelleted manure.. So I will have a look. The lid fits tight so it can't be Blow fly larvae..

• Thanks to both of you.

I, like BLT can assure of the fact that the lid was securely fastened on last use. Considering the tub had not been open for approximately 3 or so years, presumably had they entered at that time, these larvae would have perished within this length of time? Also, the tub is intact without damage.

I agree that fertilisers should be used ASAP, however surely a 'dried' manure like this should have a shelf life beyond the current season?

FYI, the larvae/maggots are white in colour with an orange 'head tip'.

• LesleyKLesleyK Posts: 4,029

Really hope they're not vine weevil.  Heaven knows how many bugs get into everythingimage.  Hope they are something different.

• BLTBLT Posts: 525

I aggree some product deteiriorate very fast.. One annoying factor I found with Miracle Gro crystals being Hydroscopic and my batch turned to liquid very fast in an airtight nox too..

I have not checked my pelleted manure as yet..

Fish, blood and bone deteriorates fast too.. I try and keep it natural...if possible..

Last edited: 22 May 2016 20:25:35

• i have same prob with maggots in a sack of chicken manure pellets in my shed ? i cant see any answers or advice on here.? only martyn swane question. regards Tim.

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 82,143
    I suspect they may be mealworms or something similar. 
    I wouldn’t worry about using them. 
    Scatter them on the soil and the birds will hoover them up. 
    😊 
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• BobTheGardenerBobTheGardener Leicestershire, UKPosts: 11,391
    edited March 2020
    They are likely fly maggots.  The flies hatch, mate, lay eggs and die within any air spaces in the bag.  Harmless to plants and by spreading them on the soil with the pellets, you're giving the birds a treat, too. :)
    A trowel in the hand is worth a thousand lost under a bush.