Growing basil

LeifUKLeifUK Posts: 573

I have germinated some Thai basil seeds in some peat free seed compost. Anyway, should I grow one seed per pot, or multiple seeds per pot?

• FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 28,102

I grow sweet basil and usually sow it thinly in small pots and just split the plants up a bit once they're big enough - at about two  or three inches. I put a couple in a 4" pot and that seems to work quite well. A bigger clump would need a bigger pot. image

It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• LeifUKLeifUK Posts: 573

Thanks. So you keep them in quite small pots then? I guess they must be fairly small plants.

• michael mpcmichael mpc Posts: 422

hi  I have tried to grow  sweet    basil 2 times  in g/house in  j/innis compost in large pots no joy don't know I am doing wrong I put compost in level it then sprinkle seeds then I sieve the compost over it ??the compost had been watered before hand // so I can not think what I am doing wrong   seed is this yrs ( the first basil was about 3to4weeks ago  any idea.s     michael

• B3B3 Posts: 11,420

I buy a pot of Greek basil in the supermarket. It grows well and looks a bit like a box topiary. It usually lasts until the frosts - unless you're greedyimage

In London. Keen but lazy.

thanks  b3 that had went through my mind  buy a couple and repot in larger pot to last longerimage

Hi Michael - when you buy a pot in a supermarket, it usually contains loads of individual plants, so you can split them up. image

I use multi purpose compost, sow thinly and keep the pots on the kitchen windowsill. I split them once they're a few inches tall and pot them on, giving some to friends. They can take quite a bit of watering as long as they don't sit in wet soil. I think a JI might be too heavy for them. 

Lief - I use quite a lot of basil so I just keep picking it till the plant's exhausted.  A few seeds in a 4"pot gets quite bushy if you pinch out the tips and if I have three or four pots, that lasts a good few weeks.  I do a few more pots a few weeks after the first sowings to get a succession of plants. It really depends how much you use. image

hi fairy girl  I forgot to say thanks  for basil  ideas

No need to thank me Michael - hope you have more success sowing  next time. Third time lucky image

• LeifUKLeifUK Posts: 573

Thanks Fairygirl.

hi fairygirl  did what you said  got a good  basil plant and  got 3 pots  out of it    thanks     michaelimage