Forum home Problem solving

Should I lift the iris

I found this Iris in a flowerbed when I cleared it when we moved in 4 years ago.  I've nurtured it back to life, it has sprouted little irises too.

Last summer I realised the tuber was covered so I lifted it.  Now I'm wondering if maybe I didn't lift it enough so should I do it again now.  I have light sandy soil.

I only want to see what colour it is, if it isn't pink, purple or white it shall be donated to a friends garden, its the bain of my life trying to get it to flower. I'm not going to give up on it.  I assume it would be showing signs of buds by now if this was going to be its year.

How do you plant them so the tuber is on the top but yet they are firmed into the soil?

Any advice gratefully received.

Thank you.

• CloggieCloggie Cambs Fens but not black soilPosts: 1,451

I found a likely looking tuber when clearing a bed year before last and stuck it in a pot.  Last year it grew like yours so I was a bit disappointed.  This year, hello, I have a bloom.  So thinking that you maybe got it right last year and next year you'll be repaid?  image  What I did was to bury the rooty bits but leave the corm/tuber/whatever on the surface which is easy in a pot.  I stuck the pot in a South facing, sheltered patio position if that helps.

• chickychicky SurreyPosts: 10,295

Thats gorgeous TetleyT ....worth the waitimage. How are you btw ??image

• Peanuts3Peanuts3 Posts: 759

Thank you aym. The border is south facing and gets sun for at least half the day. I'll raise up the tuber bit and go from there. Thank you. 

• CloggieCloggie Cambs Fens but not black soilPosts: 1,451

Having a fab gardening year chicky, thanks for asking.  Got in the doldrums over winter but spring arrived and I created a new bed and stuffed it with stuff and I feel full of love every time I look out the window. image Our second spring in this garden and still finding new stuff popping up like my buddy above.  

aym280, thanks for the ID.  I took this garden over from people who bought it 14 years ago from a gardener so I find plant labels as I'm digging (they travelled a long way for their purchases) but the garden was left to "ramble" a bit so this guy is most likely from 14+ year old stock.

• IamweedyIamweedy Cheshire East. Posts: 1,364

I am looking some IRIS  SOS advice . I have not grown them before and I bought these two after they had flowered. 

One stem has broken off and it looks as if there are small bulblets growing where this stem was joined to the main plant but there are no signs of rooting.

Can any one advise if I can get it growing again and how best to try.

.image

Thank you.

'You must have some bread with it me duck!'