Brush Cutter advice

I'm using a brush cutter with a tungsten carbide blade and I wondered what advice anybody might have about using it without the plastic guard/shield. I ask the question because when cutting longer grass it has a regular tendency to collect the cut grasses/weeds and jam them between the blade and the cover, even short lengths build up. I always wear boots and gaiters plus eye protection. The problem also occurred using a conventional metal blade too.

Would appreciate any sound advice, thanks.

Howard

• fidgetbonesfidgetbones Posts: 12,374

Don't even think of it. Hospitals have enough to do as it is.

Last edited: 19 May 2016 14:37:21

It's not a mess, it's a nature reserve.
  • Ladybird4Ladybird4 Third rock from the sunPosts: 19,942

Never ever ever!!!!!!!!!

Cacoethes: An irresistible urge to do something inadvisable
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 48,952

Depends whether you value your feet and the ability to walk or not image

"...tea and toasted buttered currant buns, can't compensate for lack of sun because the summer's all gone..."   Autumn Almanac - Ray Davies
  • treehugger80treehugger80 Posts: 1,617

DON'T! I have seen blades snap and its terrifying, I saw one go thru a piece of wriggly tin sheet like it was made out of wet cardboard, god knows the damage it would do if it hit a leg!

I've also been hit by a rock thrown 30 feet from someone else cutting and I needed stiches - and that was thru thick working trousers!

• KT53KT53 Posts: 2,588

If it's jamming regularly is the guard fitted correctly.  I've cut all sorts, long, short, wet and dry with a brush cutter and never had a problem.  Maybe you're trying to force it through the undergrowth too quickly.  I find a side to side motion, going forward slowly works best for me.

• Dave MorganDave Morgan Posts: 3,122

Strimmer and brush cutters only jam if you're trying to cut too fast. You really have to go slowly and cut with the leading edge and not push forward too fast. Guards  are there for a reason, to protect the user. Taking one off is tempting fate too much.

• Thank you KT53, Treehugger and Dave. I completely take on board your advice. And although I'm not aware of 'forcing' it through, I will try a slower approach.

Thanks to all for replying. There must be a reason that tungsten carbide blades are only available from the USA or Australia (as far as I'm aware). Maybe I should revert to a conventional blade.

Last edited: 19 May 2016 21:11:44