Forum home Plants

Hellebores - black spot?

2»

• fidgetbonesfidgetbones Posts: 16,243

That what I thought. The only one I had infected, I dug up and took back. They said all I had to do was cut off the leaves,  but new leaves were coming through infected. I was offered a replacement, but as all the ones on display were showing signs, I had my money back. All of my Ashwood one's are fine.

You don't stop doing new things because you get old, you get old because you stop doing new things. <3
  • chickychicky SurreyPosts: 10,233

Cries image

thanks for the help though - looks like I have some digging up to do image

It is spread by a specific aphid. Do you think it came with it, or  are there other hellebores in neighbouring gardens that may have it?

Last edited: 18 May 2016 12:50:49

You don't stop doing new things because you get old, you get old because you stop doing new things. <3

RHS believe it is transmitted by hellebore aphid

https://www.rhs.org.uk/advice/profile?PID=534

Whilst it is not certain, I would not buy any plants from a collection where some show signs. aphids may transmit  it to what look like healthy plants in the vicinity. Once signs are showing, it is too late.

• chickychicky SurreyPosts: 10,233

We don't really have neighbours, so I can't blame them.  Most of my plants have been grown from plugs - about 4-5 years old now, and have never shown signs before.  One or two more recent were Harvington Hybrids from a Wyevale - they looked healthy when bought, but perhaps were harbouring something.

i might drop a couple of leaves into Wisley's plant pathologists for them to have a look too.