Forum home Plants

Plant ID Needed Please

Hi,

i was wondering if someone could help me identify this plant?? It has wood like bottom with huge flowers and dark leaf foliage.  I did wonder if it is was a tree peony if there is a such thing? 

Thhe reason why I need to identify it is because it's steams / branches have become so long I really need to prune them but I'm unsure how without knowing what it is. Any advice would be greatly received. 

Forgive my ignorance but I'm quite new to gardening and trying to learn.

Many thanks in advance.

Kerri

imageimage

• Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 32,385

Tree Peony,( can't be more specific, sorry ) it's a stunner. I'm very jealous. 

Forgot my manners: Welcome to the forum Kerri. 

Last edited: 17 May 2016 08:01:51

Devon.
  • plant pauperplant pauper Posts: 6,234

That's a beauty Kerri. Well done you for asking before doing. Most people take at it and then say "what did I do wrong?" image

• Hi, I haven't been long here either - a great place to learn, it's very welcoming too!

What a beauty, you're very lucky!

• Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 32,385

I keep coming back and looking at those flowers. I absolutely love them.

Did I say I was jealous?

Devon.
  • plant pauperplant pauper Posts: 6,234

Me too HF. Well jel!

HF have you checked out the Soooooooooo..........thread. Right up our street. (Avenue!) image

• Lily PillyLily Pilly Central southern Scotland Posts: 3,845

An absolute stunnerimage very envuius

welcome, image

Weeds are flowers, too, once you get to know them.”
    A A Milne
  • ahh thank you all and thank you for confirming that it is a type of peony. I do love it, it is beautiful and it's nice to see colour at the end of the garden now the forsythia tree has lost its yellow flowers.

At the bottom of the plant, the previous owner of our house has wisely supported it and it's lovely and straight. However some of the branches are really struggling under the weight of the massive flowers. Some of them are vertical! Does any one have any ideas or experience on pruning such a thing? Or is it a case of just supporting what's there? 

Kerri

• Busy-LizzieBusy-Lizzie Posts: 19,179

That is gorgeous. I don't have a tree peony, but here is what the RHS says about looking after it, pruning included.  https://www.rhs.org.uk/advice/profile?PID=711  

Dordogne and Norfolk
  • Thank you Bizzie, It looks like I will either have to support the leggie branches or possibly remove at base to encourage more growth which seems a shame!! They were tolerable last year but have grown a lot perhaps over the milder winter. 

Still interested in hearing people's sucess stories of pruning one of these if any on out there has one :)