Forum home Plants

Could someone tell me what this is?

colette11colette11 Posts: 7

Hi all, I've got a forest flame growing in the garden, but there's something growing through it. I've tried to check online to see what it is, but I'm not getting anywhere as I don't know anything about plants and I was hoping for some help here. imageimage

• nutcutletnutcutlet PeterboroughPosts: 26,559

a tree seedling of some sort, maybe a whitebeam or some other sorbus. You'll need to remove it, whatever it is it will be much bigger than the forest flame soon

• colette11colette11 Posts: 7

A tree? I'm kinda excited about it being a tree to be honest, but I don't think it's in the best place. Could it be moved elsewhere maybe? I've only got a small garden.

• nutcutletnutcutlet PeterboroughPosts: 26,559

You could try replanting it but I'd give priority to forest flame if either set of roots have to be sacrificed.

It's not the best time for moving a deciduous tree but I think you should have it out of there.

The forest flame has been there for about ten years, it's the best looking one out of the two I have on that patch of grass. The other appeared last year (at least, that was when I noticed it, must have been longer ago) and I thought it was just a weed at first but waited to see what it'd do. When it got taller, I thought it might be something other than a weed. Any advice for how to move it please?

Would it harm the forest flame if I kept it there? Scared to harm either of them to be honest. I think it's up the side of it rather than through it. Though... it's against a hedge too between two houses. There's not a great deal of room there for a tree really.

• Pete.8Pete.8 Billericay, EssexPosts: 9,071

Do bear in mind that sweet little sapling will grow into something enormous.

I'd suggest following nut's advice above

Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit.
    Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.

Damn. I've got someone coming in this week to do other stuff to the garden, I'll get him to move it. Love the idea of a random tree growing in the garden, but if it could cause damage, I don't want to be unpopular with the neighbours. :) Seems a shame to kill it though. But I guess I couldn't have something really big in the garden, it's only small. Is it a whitebeam after all then?

• Invicta2Invicta2 Posts: 663

Looks like Sorbus intermedia the Swedish Whitebeam which does self seed in this country but could also be a Rowan/Whitebeam hybrid [Sorbus x thuringiaca I think] which also occur in this country.

Last edited: 16 May 2016 22:51:53

If that's what it is, seems to have found its way fairly far north as I'm in Glasgow!

• Invicta2Invicta2 Posts: 663

Probably is Swedish Whitebeam then, planted in a lot of industial cities in the past due its tolerance of smoke pollution. Coming from Sweden it probably finds the Scottish climate to be nice and mildimage.