Bumble bees

Do bumble bees live alone? It appears we have one living in the back of garage (comes under back door past outhouse) there appears yp be a hole in the ground there we've seen him on a few occasions my partners not impressed and wanted to get rid of him. Think I've persuaded him it's ok but any suggestions? 

• First of all, he is a she.  a queen which is starting a nest. She will produce daughters - worker bees which will emerge shortly. Bumble bees are harmless enough, so there is nothing much to worry about, especially if the nest is well away from the entrance to your house.

• iceice Posts: 327

The nest is I the entrance to garage from the house. How long do they stay for? 

• Ladybird4Ladybird4 Third rock from the sunPosts: 27,150

Hi ice. It is quite likely to be a female solitary bee. These nest in holes in the ground or crevices in walls etc. They stock up a little larder and once the eggs have been laid they are left to hatch and develop on their own. Not a threat and useful as a pollinator.

Cacoethes: An irresistible urge to do something inadvisable
  • If it is a bumble bee they will be there till the end of summer, in which case you should tell your partner not to be such a wimp! image

• goddygoddy Posts: 35

I have bumblebees nearly every year in my garden. I love to watch them come and go. They are totally harmless if you leave them be. I once was gardening in front of the entrance hole and observed them circling around me to make sure I was not a threat. Enjoy don't destroy.

• Mark56Mark56 Windsor, BerkshirePosts: 1,653

Seeing them emerge from their holes in Spring was one of the most fascinating things I've seen so far this year. Little holes in the mud!