Forum home Wildlife gardening

Foxes & Cats

A couple of days ago, I was walking home past a suburban house in the afternoon (bright sunlight) and was surprised to see a fox and two cats keeping each other company outside the house. The fox was curled up trying to sleep, but raised its head and got a bit nervous when it saw me walk past. Literally a foot next to it was a cat sprawled out cleaning itself happily, and up on a box next to them both was another cat just sitting there enjoying the sun.

Has anyone else seen foxes starting to make friends with cats and being so comfortable to hang around with them outside someone's front door? The fox clearly felt more comfortable being part of a 'pack', and will probably learn from the behaviour of the cats not to be so scared of people and feel a sense of 'home'.

Last edited: 16 May 2016 11:32:19

• sanjy67sanjy67 Posts: 1,007

that's lovely image

• MynxMynx Posts: 101

One of my closest friends works in a factory and feeds a fox and stray cats each night. (I always get a funny look at restaurants when I ask for a "fox box" and not a "doggy bag" to take home!). Anyway, the fox cub grew up, left for a while and came back with it's own cub in due course.  As for the stray cats, she catches them, has them innoculated (at her own expense) and then takes them to a local animal sanctuary. She is the epitome of "don't judge a book..." - she is covered in tattoos; arms, legs, back. Perhaps we should all take a lesson from the fox sometimes image.

• davids10davids10 Posts: 894

No foxes here in Nv. but many coyotes-definitely not cats friends-they like having them for dinner. 

Verdun I'll bet Reynard had biker tats.

• MynxMynx Posts: 101

Reynard doesn't have any tats davids10 and Verdun don't be silly, the fox won't sit still long enough for the tattooist, that's why they wear fake ones  image. The fox is partly tame Verdun, however, my friend? Well, she has been known to scare the local thugs away image. She's not a biker either, all her tattoos are of animals and she is a northern soul fanatic, which I find extremely worrying image.

• TomskTomsk Posts: 204
    I walked past the same house again yesterday and there were no cats outside but... I did spot the fox curled up under a bush. It must live in that front garden but only has the confidence to sit in the open when the cats are around.