Forum home Plants

Tree peony

seacrowsseacrows Posts: 211

I had a thorough sort out of my seed shoe-box today. One of the things I found was a plastic baggie labelled 'Tree Peony 14'. I assume these seeds were collected from one of my peonies and in an unaccustomed fit of efficiency I even labelled them.

But I don't know what to do with them. I have a vague sort of recollection that they need a cold stage, and can take months to germinate. Help please. How do I plant/sow them, how long do they take and are they likely to produce reasonable plants?

I should say the seeds look OK, black, slightly shiny and roundish. No visible mould or fungus gunk.

• fidgetbonesfidgetbones Posts: 16,159

Sow them in pots of gritty compost. Leave in cold frame to germinate. It may take up to three years. If sown fresh, they may germinate the following spring. Label the pots.

You don't stop doing new things because you get old, you get old because you stop doing new things. <3
  • nutcutletnutcutlet PeterboroughPosts: 26,567

sow them in a pot of gritty compost with extra grit on top and leave them outside till they germinate.. They will have gone dormant by now if not dead so at least one extra winter,possibly 2 before they germinate. If they do.

If you get more seeds sow them straight away as above. 

Last edited: 15 May 2016 23:48:50

As nut says.image

I threw away a potful that hadn't germinated after two years. The following spring, up they came on the dumping ground.image

You don't stop doing new things because you get old, you get old because you stop doing new things. <3
  • seacrowsseacrows Posts: 211

Wow, thanks for the rapid replies. OK, a battered old terracotta pot hidden behind the tree heather it is. There may be a series of pots if I do one a year, so labelling is essential this time.

Don't worry seacrows, they still come up, you just have to wait a few years before you know which one it isimage

I've just had one germinate that's taken so long the label has faded right away so no help at all

I have an area I put seeds in trays that don't germinate the first year. Often they germinate the second year, after that they get tipped out.

I found another paeony this morning, after I'd trodden on it. i couldn't see it for weedsimage