Forum home Problem solving

Ivy damaging my property

Hi all, 

I was wondering if I could get some advice please? I have fences on the side of my house which belong to me, and I have the back of another house facing the side of mine who have ivy growing up it and over it on to my side. It is not only climbing over it, but it growing through it and has rotted the fences where they need replacing. The neighbours also have a huge tree which has grown so much that it blocks the natural light out of my bathroom where I always need to use the light. 

I went round about a month ago to talk to them and ask them if they can trim the tree and also tidy up the ivy. I was in no way asking them to get rid of it and in no way rude. The man at the property was very rude and told me the ivy was there before they moved in, and that he always keep control of it. I have lived here a year and he has never once touched it. I again asked him if he could tidy it up but he declined and was very rude. When it came back to talking about the tree, he said that he has someone do it every year, so I said great, is there anyway he could come soon please? He then said no he comes when he pleases to which I said can u call and ask him to come a little ealrier please and explained about the light. He again declined being very rude and told me tough. He also said they won't be able to come on my land anyway without permission so it's tough. I said I would give permission and to let me know when it's being done so I can give permission. He declined and said tough again. 

After leaving it there, I decided when I was gardening that I would trim from my side and as told by lots of people along with online advice, you have to give it back legally, so I popped it over the fence. Then this evening they came round kicking off, verbally abusing me and then their son got a huge clump of it and viciously the it in my face. I have called the police who are coming to see me, but I was wondering if I could get some advise on what to do next? What are my rights? I don't want to pay for new fences on the back of their ivy damaging it and then the same thing happening again. What is the best thing to do please? 

Thank you in advance x

Last edited: 15 May 2016 21:23:12



  • plant pauperplant pauper Posts: 6,234

    1. you can't cut his trees without his permission even if you give him the stuff back.

    2. his son can't assault you.

    It all seems to have escalated very quickly. Two men coming to your door is a bit intimidating and the police should take a dim view of that. You are, however, technically in the wrong whatever his manners. Perhaps you could get an intermediary to act for you. I know there are organisations who specialise in this type of thing but I've no idea how to get in touch with them. Someone on here might.

    Good luck.

  • Sophie17Sophie17 Posts: 342

    its my understanding that you have every right to cut your neighbours overhanging foliage back to the boundary line but yes you do have to offer the cuttings back. Police will obviously deal with the abuse and assault but next step might be to contact the council they have ways to help with these matters. Good luck image

  • I haven't cut his tree it's his ivy which I have cut from my side which is legally allowed to be done, but I can't legally hold the cuttings. 

    I have been advised that they are not legally allowed to grow anything on my fence without permission which I guess is not his fault as it was before they moved in but surely I have rights as it's my property being damaged? 

  • Flora rosaFlora rosa Posts: 262

    oh I so feel for you, so sorry you're having to go through that !! why oh why do so many people seem to have lost all their manners, tolerance and kindness !!! my God can we  not have a conversation about issues that need solving without rudeness and aggression these days.  we have a similar issue and (ivy) I just tend to deal with it on my side ...bloody hard work , may I say ......cos do not want to have to deal with the agro 

  • plant pauperplant pauper Posts: 6,234

    1. you can't cut his trees (or anything) without his permission even if you give him the stuff back.

  • Sophie17Sophie17 Posts: 342

    I'm afraid plant pauper you are wrong

  • Thank you Flora Rosa. What ever happened to being friendly and thinking of others hey?

    Plant Pauper - You can if it is on your property. I have done the normal friendly approach just not sure what to do next. Sophie has confirmed the council can help as I didn't think they could. I will be calling them. 

  • fidgetbonesfidgetbones Posts: 15,862

    If a tree is overhanging your property, you can cut it back to the boundary, offering the cuttings back to the owner of the tree, who may or may not want them. Obviously not in this case.

    If you want it cutting back to the boundary, generally you will have to do it at your own expense. You do not have a right to light in your bathroom, I am afraid. Trimming your side is unlikely to give much effect on the light front unless a branch is directly in front of the window.

    You may NOT  cut a tree back to the boundary if it has a tree preservation order on it. Similar rules apply in a conservation area.

    Ivy can be cut back if it is on your fence.

    Ivy growing over a fence will not rot the fence, often it protects it from the elements.

    You don't stop doing new things because you get old, you get old because you stop doing new things. <3
  • This ivy has completely rotted the fences. It's a show, I will take pictures tomorrow and post them. I refuse to pay for new fences at this point. I am not being verbally and physically abused at my own home and allowing them to think they can do what they want. I felt really scared before and all I ever asked them to do was tidy them not get rid of them. 

  • darren636darren636 Posts: 666

    All too common these days.

    That's the price of living in a failing society.

    Crammed in  like rats and so many people just don't care about anything other than themselves.

    We need a compulsory 1 child pee family limit.

Sign In or Register to comment.