Forum home Problem solving

Complete newbie needs help

• Bernie3kBernie3k Posts: 14

Thanks Dave thats a brilliant tip, I will have to try that if and when I get some dips.

Not had much of a chance to get out there with the weather being as it is, think this is the first dry day we have had since I rotavated.

I went out after work and it just wasn't dry enough to rake and firm, which is a shame, I want to get it right, or as right as I can so that any problems are easily solved later on.

Was just going to keep the top shelf as grass for now and see how it does. It generally is shady at the back but only later on, I think the back shelf gets a dose of sun much later on before it disappears behind next doors house.

Unfortunately the tree next door has been left to get out of hand. Its humungous and I dread to think where the roots are. I really like my sun and it creates unwanted shade throughout the day at different times. 

Really wanted to get it seeded before I go on holiday in three weeks but I'm not sure it's going to happen, Don't want to rush it as I'm not sure what effect firming in the wet will have

Pink lily says:

Its looking brilliant!  I spent the weekend lifting the old turf in my garden.....I've got all the rotovating and raking to look forward to.  From your pics and all the advice given I now have an idea of what I should be aiming for, so thank you!   Good luck with your project, I can't wait to see it finished image

See original post

Just a word of warning, get a rotavator suitable for the job. I was going to go for the cheaper option which is driven by the blades alone. It would have been almost impossible to get it done. The one I got was classed as a mid size with a 9 BHP engine and driven by the wheels and the blades. Made the job much easier, although I was still sore for a few days and managed to pull my achilles tendon :(

Best of luck with your project and let me know how you found it :)

• plant pauperplant pauper Posts: 6,234

WooHoo....look at you giving tips!! image 

It's better if you can to do the shuffling as dry as possible otherwise you'll compact the soil again and undo some of your good work. 

Just think...now that you're into gardening you'll never have to go to the gym! image

• Pink lilyPink lily Posts: 175
    Bernie3k says:
    Pink lily says:

Its looking brilliant!  I spent the weekend lifting the old turf in my garden.....I've got all the rotovating and raking to look forward to.  From your pics and all the advice given I now have an idea of what I should be aiming for, so thank you!   Good luck with your project, I can't wait to see it finished image

See original post

Just a word of warning, get a rotavator suitable for the job. I was going to go for the cheaper option which is driven by the blades alone. It would have been almost impossible to get it done. The one I got was classed as a mid size with a 9 BHP engine and driven by the wheels and the blades. Made the job much easier, although I was still sore for a few days and managed to pull my achilles tendon :(

Best of luck with your project and let me know how you found it :)

See original post

a friend is getting a loan of a heavy duty rotovator for me (I'm hoping he will do the work too if I bribe him with beer and a BBQ)      I'm currently still turning soil by hand, cutting out tree roots and pulling weeds.  The dog is not talking to me as he has nowhere to roll, the neighbours think I'm burying bodies and I'm starting to wish I had never started it! image  I will put some before and during pics up soon

• seacrowsseacrows Posts: 103

I've tried firming a clay soil down while wet. OH actually got a pickaxe out to rebreak it down from the concrete-like state I left it in (still think he was being over dramatic).  

The best advice I got was to mix in as much sand as I thought a lawn would need, then double the amount. A soggy clay lawn leads to a tufty grass lawn, and five years later you have a lumpy lawn. You can get at borders to put organic and gritty material in, but (hopefully) you only grow a lawn once.

Yours is looking really good. Does the dog not just go ahead and roll in the mud, or is he banned while work is in progress?

• B3B3 Posts: 15,780

Don't firm it down when it's wet  if you want to plant anything in it or you'll undo all your hard work. Damp is ok but not wet.

In London. Keen but lazy.
  • Pink lilyPink lily Posts: 175
    seacrows says:

I've tried firming a clay soil down while wet. OH actually got a pickaxe out to rebreak it down from the concrete-like state I left it in (still think he was being over dramatic).  

The best advice I got was to mix in as much sand as I thought a lawn would need, then double the amount. A soggy clay lawn leads to a tufty grass lawn, and five years later you have a lumpy lawn. You can get at borders to put organic and gritty material in, but (hopefully) you only grow a lawn once.

Yours is looking really good. Does the dog not just go ahead and roll in the mud, or is he banned while work is in progress?

See original post

Its my dog thats in the huff, not Bernie3K's.  My mutt will only roll in grass or fox poo or dead things (rabbits, birds, mice.....he's not fussed, just as long as it stinks)   I would rather he enjoyed rolling in mud image 

Well we seem to have some grass!!

Managed to get the seed down before we went on holiday and I was very lucky that my Dad offered to come and water it for me.

So here are the results

imageimageimageimageimage

It's a bit patchy but we had some torrential rain the day before we went away and it washed all the seed down to the lower part. I spent the night before we went away franticly raking everything into place as best I could while cursing at the clouds and the pigeons (who had been having a nice seed buffet)

I think we had some torrential rain while we were away too as some of the shop roofs caved in at Cheshire Oaks ( my local retail outlet)

My dad has reseeded the patchy bits and I have spread some more fertiliser in the hope that it stimulates growth.

What do I do next? some of the thicker parts are really thick? Do I cut it? I don't want it to get unmanageable and struggle to cut it. FYI I first planted seed just over 2 weeks ago today.

How long should I wait for germination on the patchy bits before I seed again?

My dad says I should get a roller to roll the loose surface stones into the soil. He isn't a gardener but thats what he did when he sowed his own lawn. ( I don't a lawn that is too firm and hard)

I'm not sure if I should bother

Thanks for everyones help. we finally have green!!!

Woo Hoo!!!! What a crackin job Bernie3k. Look how well it has turned out. Give yourself a big fat pat on the back.

When I laid my lawn many years ago I was advised not to roll it as it compacts the soil but there may be some who disagree. Don't be too quick to cut it. Let's wait for a lawn expert to come along.

The main problem that I see now is the different sowing times. When the green bit is ready to cut the new seed will just be germinating. Let's wait and see what everyone says. And by that I mean people who have actually done it, not talked to someone else about it! image

WELL DONE!!!!! image

Can any lawn people help with this please? Poor Bernie has the odd wee dropped stitch in her lawn. image