Forum home Problem solving

Complete newbie needs help

• Bernie3kBernie3k Posts: 14

Well in my job everything is required to be level and straight. Suppose I have to remember I'm not planting a bowling green image

• plant pauperplant pauper Posts: 6,234

Nothing wrong with striving for a bowling green, just don't kill yourself doing it.

The leveling is a very important part so you should take your time with it. It will always settle more anyway once it rains and so on that's why you need to keep going over and over..... Treading and raking, treading and raking... you can think straight and level thoughts while you're doing it. image

Better still, start planning your "areas" and pretties. Get to know where the sun shines at different times of day, where the shade is. You only have to read a few threads on here to realise that after donkeys years the oldies are still learning and hoeing up the odd treasure! image

• sanjy67sanjy67 Posts: 1,007

i think it looks really good so far! well done. are you seeding it with grass all over? if not you can use some sand to mark out where your flower borders will be etc, then if you want to change it just rake the sand away and re-mark it, it's been a long time since i seeded a garden but you can also mix some sand in with your grass seed and that enables you to see where you have scattered, but as plant pauper says shuffle rake,shuffle rake,shuffle rake, then as mentioned you can do the board thing, might be easier when your partner returns and use a long piece of wood and use like you are tampering concrete and you can see any dips and board will smooth out any humps.

lastly lay on the floor with one eye shut and check it's level image (joke) don't worry i live with a perfectionist builder and i'm a 'everything has to be level control freak' so you're in good company

• Daryl2Daryl2 Posts: 452

And in my world (where it doesn't matter if things are a bit wonky) you can always top up any small dips that materialise later by filling them with a bit of sieved top soil. The grass will grow up through it and level itself out :-)

Really interesting thread. Thanks everyone :-)

• Bernie3kBernie3k Posts: 14

Well unfortunately I'm pretty much done for the day.. my mother has invited me for a sunday roast so there is no way I am declining that :) Also wanted to give the paths a bit of a scrub as the rotavator has kicked up quite a bit of soil everywhere

Been shuffling on a small patch at the back just to get the feel for it and its looking pretty good, also as the sun has been out all day the clumps seem to be disappearing and getting broken up :)

More a day of learning than pure work, but I feel much happier after reading everything everyone has been saying. 

Last edited: 15 May 2016 16:00:25

will look forward to some photos as it progresses 

• plant pauperplant pauper Posts: 6,234

Next door has a greenhouse. Might be a keen gardener....free stuff! image

• Pink lilyPink lily Posts: 175

Its looking brilliant!  I spent the weekend lifting the old turf in my garden.....I've got all the rotovating and raking to look forward to.  From your pics and all the advice given I now have an idea of what I should be aiming for, so thank you!   Good luck with your project, I can't wait to see it finished image

• Dave HumbyDave Humby Posts: 1,062

I thoroughly enjoyed reading that Bernie. Please do keep us updated with progress.

I notice, as you mentioned, that you do have the higher level at the back so do you have a plan for that area? Is it still going to be lawn? Are you terracing it down to the level of the rest of the garden or a gradual slope?

I'm assuming you took the last photo later in the day in which case it seems quite shady (you appear to have large trees in neighbouring gardens) so maybe you could have some nice shrubs (shade loving) back there in a terraced border then you wouldn't need to worry about how you cater for the difference in elevation?

Good luck with your project. One little, but simple tip from me. If you find, which you probably will, that you have some depressions over time when everything has settled, rather than add additional soil on top and either re-seed or wait for the grass to grow through you can cut and X-shape using a spade then gently ease the spade under the 'turf' in a parallel-to-ground-level fashion, gently lift then add your soil underneath then reinstate. Instant flat lawn level.

great tip dave !