Forum home The potting shed

lettuce seedlings/Cucumber seedlings

I send a post yesterday but i havent had any views or replies so i will start again.

I made a mistake of buying cheap branded multi compost.

The seedlings are not growing after 1 month from picking out.Left in the greenhouse. 

I am think of changing the soil to John Innes no2 as i havent any no 1. 

Can i please have some options from other growers as i have a 38 mile round trip to the shops. 

• Pete.8Pete.8 Billericay, EssexPosts: 9,873

It's difficult to diagnose your problem without some more info and a photo - any chance you could upload one?

The amount of light and the temperature will largely determine how well your seedlings grow, as well as what they are planted in.

Don't try and transplant them until the seedlings have their 'true' leaves as the root system will not be properly developed until then. 

If you can provide a photo and some detail of what the compost is and the temperature your seedlings are in I'm sure you'll get some helpful answers here.

Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit.
    Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.
  • jad1jad1 Posts: 130

Thanks Pete 8. I have taken a photo of a tray of lettuce and a cucumber in a pot. The lettuce i pricked out on the 3rd April.Cucumber on the 9th.April. The soil i used was the Blue Diamond brand. Multi purpose. Plenty of light in the greenhouse. But maybe it has been to cold. The temperature has started to warm up here in north cornwall. All the other items that i have planted i.e sweetcorn,sunflower seeds.which are in small pots are doing well. 

Sorry Pete 8 i having a problem in sending the photos.

I'd have thought the temp in the beautiful county of Cornwall would be generally mild.

If they've not been too dry or wet they should be ok. Maybe you've had a recent chilly spell that's just held them back a bit. The 'truma' of pricking out will stress them, just give then some time to recover and establish themselves. I'm sure they'll be fine.

I sowed some lettuce in a trough just over a week ago and they're up despite the blackbirds digging around in the compost.

We are having a lovely sunny spell at the moment. In the greenhouse the temperature is in the 60-70. After chatting to you i think i will leave them just in case i stress them. Maybe it is just some more heat that they need. I will let you know the outcome. Thanks again

Best of luck to you!

I'm sure you'll be enjoying a home grown salad very soon :)