Forum home Plants

Houttyana cordata

plant pauperplant pauper Posts: 6,234

http://www.gardenersworld.com/forum/talkback/chameleon-plant/320904.html

Hi All,

I was given this plant and something about the look of it made me think "thug". So I looked it up and found this thread from a while back.

Does anyone have anything to add? Could I line a pot with membrane and sink it in the ground? It's very nice and gets sulphur yellow flowers later in the year but I have enough trouble without trying to dig this up for the rest of my nelly.

Thanks.

• Ladybird4Ladybird4 Third rock from the sunPosts: 34,460

Hi. It is a thug and I thought I had got rid of it but it appeared again this spring. Smells of bitter oranges - quite nice really.

Cacoethes: An irresistible urge to do something inadvisable
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,277
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • plant pauperplant pauper Posts: 6,234

Mmmmm. I have a lot of ground to cover but I don't want it covered at the expense of everything else. I'll give some thought to devising a container to...well...contain it. If there's loads of other stuff growing round it you'll not see the container anyway.

Thanks for your input. It's definitely not going in the ground.

• plant pauperplant pauper Posts: 6,234

Will do Verdun. I'm afraid even to put it in the pond just in case of rampantness. My pond is huge and I can't even get near the middle.

This one has screaming yellow flowers which came as a bit of a shock on the quite subtle cream and green tinged with pink. I'm talking YELLOW! image