Forum home Plants

my weedy garden

B3B3 South East LondonPosts: 22,331

Most of the plants below are self-seeded 'weeds'.

I hope that this will give a little hope to border weeders!

In London. Keen but lazy.

• nutcutletnutcutlet PeterboroughPosts: 26,562

That's why I never hoeimage

• plant pauperplant pauper Posts: 6,234

I'm all for that. Geum....quick come and have a look!!!!

I have loads of little self seedlings of hellebores and things abut this is a whole new level! Loving it guys!

• B3B3 South East LondonPosts: 22,331

I don't hoe much either. The weedy garden isn't really the easy option. You have to hand weed the bad guys. 

• Cor! Looks fabulous :)

I never know what's a 'weed' and what's not (well, not often anyway), so this is great news for me...

• plant pauperplant pauper Posts: 6,234

That's why we pay nutcutlet the big money. IDer extraordinaire!!! image

• Ladybird4Ladybird4 Third rock from the sunPosts: 34,465

B3 - I LOVE your garden!

Cacoethes: An irresistible urge to do something inadvisable
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 79,378

Gorgeous.  I hoe, but in a very targetted fashion and only weeds I recognise.

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

Thanks ladybird

And Dove

• ButtercupdaysButtercupdays Posts: 4,125

My garden is too large for me to manage properly on my own and the only way to get it to look attractive is to love the 'weeds' and  wildflowers that plant themselves where they are happy. They need little or no management apart from removing things like docks an nettles and  a bit of an annual tidy.

I regularly add others that did not grow here originally. I have red campion everywhere now, but they all grew from a pinch of seed I took from a plant in a hedge in a National Trust property. Knowing now how very generous it is with its seed, they won't have missed it! White campion came of its own accord, so did wild garlic, but I planted bluebells, wood anemones and grew primroses from (bought!) seed and all now seed themselves. The geranium phaeum I planted have also spread all over the garden, just like the alchemilla, forget me nots, aquilegias and Welsh poppies that were here already. I moved some meadowsweet in from one of the fields to grow in the marshy 'wilderness' and this year am adding some eupatorium as it is good for bees and butterflies. I grew some  geranium pratensis for the daffodil meadow and am encouraging some cowparsley that blew in from somewhere. Together they give colour and lovely  plant combinations for many months and combine well with the more exotic plants I grow in other parts of the garden. Will look for some pictures later.