When tulip are done...

Hi all, here's something that's been bugging me. If you've got a bed which you've planted lots of tulips in ( in amongst other stuff), what do you do when the tulips are done and died down?

a) lift bulbs and plant something annual to fill the gap, as it's near a slow growing shrub which will leave a space

b) lift bulbs, leave the space as the perennials will be growing to fill those gaps anyway 

c) leave the bulbs, let it all get on with it

d) something else?

You can tell it's my first year of having a proper garden, can't you? #dopeyquestionalert

• fidgetbonesfidgetbones Posts: 13,197

My bulbs are between perennials. The perennials expand to fill the gap letting the bulbs die down naturally. Any gaps at the moment are filled with self seeding forgetmenots. When they start to look tatty, I pull them out and fill any remaining gaps with annuals that are currently in the greenhouse. I usually manage to accidentally dig up or put a fork through bulbs at that point.

You don't stop doing new things because you get old, you get old because you stop doing new things. <3
  • nutcutletnutcutlet PeterboroughPosts: 25,883

Option c image

• plant pauperplant pauper Posts: 6,238

#dopeyansweralert

Hi geum, tulips don't like to be wet, they rot, so if that is likely to happen during the year they will have to come out. However, all the nutrients from the leaves will feed the bulbs so you'll have to leave it a while till the leaves have died down.....I think. That's how it is with other bulbs anyway.

Having just come from a weeding thread, there seems to be the idea that more plants=fewer weeds so bung something in I say. That way when the tulip leaves have gone, no weeds'll get in. If you put in low ground covering things, your perennials can go all over them anyway.

In conclusion....I'm going to the GC. Wanna come? image

• See you there, PP! #grabscoatandkeys

I'll leave them be for now, I promise :)

So, I have some tulips near shrubs, and some near perennials. I think I'd like to plug the shrub gaps if possible when the time comes.

But, I don't have any annuals coming on in my greenhouse, because a) I don't have a greenhouse and b) see a). Are there any annuals I can buy from the GC which aren't horribly twee? I just keep thinking about horrid ornamental bedding that you get in the middle of roundabouts *shudder*

• nutcutletnutcutlet PeterboroughPosts: 25,883

Don't forget that your perennials will grow and plug gaps.

Every year in early spring I see bare ground and wonder what I'm going to put in it. There a very few gaps now and I have loads of plants (perennials) waiting to go in them.

so now it's 'what am I going to do with all these plants'

Give us em nut!!!!

Geum let me tell you a story.

Once upon a time I opened my airing cupboard door and looked at the four sets of His'n'Hers towels. I thought "how will I ever fill this house?" Today??? Different story, but it's taken a while.

Take cuttings, beg seeds, talk to neighbours....you'll be amazed at how quickly it fills up but just not today. Later in the year there will be a thread on here called something like "I have millions of seeds for free, let me send you them!" I'm still working on mine from last year. The folk on here are embarrassingly generous and your spaces will be a thing of the past.

Annuals needn't necessarily be twee either. I find it's the planting scheme that does that. My mum would like her garden to look like a municipal park with straight rows of tidy things. Me? Not so much.

It'll be great but it's a process. The average age on here is 157 (at least) and you'll see that most of us are still tweaking and improving and digging and moving.

• hehe! His & hers towels. I need some of those too...

It's one particular bed I'm thinking of, which was newly dug and planted at the end of last year / start of this year. I'm sure given a year or so the perennials will plug my gaps (ooer), and I will be fighting for space, but most of them are little bubbas right now and I guess won't grow to much of a size this year.

Mind you, it depends if the massive triffid that was previously inhabiting that space manages to re-emerge. I dug as much of it out as I could last year, but honestly the roots went down for over a metre, I'm sure. No idea what it was (previous owner said 'I think it was a seed a bird dropped, I could never get it out so I just left it'). When I dug it out it was at least five feet tall and the same across. If it makes it back, it's game over !

• nutcutlet says:

Don't forget that your perennials will grow and plug gaps.

Every year in early spring I see bare ground and wonder what I'm going to put in it. There a very few gaps now and I have loads of plants (perennials) waiting to go in them.

so now it's 'what am I going to do with all these plants'

See original post

I'll send the courier over image

Thanks for the advice! image

HeHe. Check out the "my weedy garden thread"

One can but dream....