Forum home The potting shed

EU. In or Out?

The elite want to stay in europe....the gravy train is good for them.  For the rest of us EU is BAD 

• KT53KT53 Posts: 4,500

My problem is that I don't trust ANY politician to tell the truth, so how do I actually obtain the facts about the potential benefits / issues of either choice?

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 64,616

The BBC's Reality Check is checking the figures in the claims by both sides

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/live/uk-politics-eu-referendum-35603388 

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• KT53KT53 Posts: 4,500
    Dovefromabove says:

The BBC's Reality Check is checking the figures in the claims by both sides

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/live/uk-politics-eu-referendum-35603388 

See original post

Given the BBC's 'unbiased reporting' of other political issues, I'm not sure they can be trusted either.  Am I becoming paranoid???

I think the reality is that everybody is just guessing about what the ramifications would be.  With big names on both sides, all of whom should know what they're talking about, they can't all be right.

• NanniemoNanniemo Posts: 200

Well, I'm out, I wouldn't trust the BBC or Cameron. Our ancestors didn't fight & pay with their lives to have the Germans or any other country tell us what we can or can't do. Yes, we may initially suffer some hardships, but no one knows for sure.

• Julie LanteriJulie Lanteri Posts: 133

As long as i'm not sent back to France on the first ship for Calais... ?

• Ladybird4Ladybird4 Third rock from the sunPosts: 29,743

I'm out. Don't need to listen to either side's 'spin', I made my decision when I was told on a well known gardening programme several years ago that making my own plant food by soaking comfrey leaves in water was actually, technically against the EU regulations in terms of it not being tested and passed as safe. Various pronouncements since have only made me more happy with my decision. June 23rd will tell.

Cacoethes: An irresistible urge to do something inadvisable
  • MynxMynx Posts: 101

I'm a definite out, as is my husband and most of my peers. The only ones amongst my friends that want to stay in are in the financial sector. My OH is a teacher and a shop steward and has polled his union members unofficially and they all wish to leave, as is understandable.

No-one can definitively say with any confidence what will happen, as nobody knows for sure. Each person must vote as they see fit. I feel sorry for those that are still unsure as the conflicting facts from each side must certainly confuse them even more.

What I would say is be very wary of any statistics being portrayed as, apparently, the statistics given that each person in the UK would lose roughly £450 per month, was actually based on an American survey carried out 15 years ago. So not only was it not applicable to the UK but it was fifteen years out of date - so much for statistics. 

I may be daffy in most regards, but I am a keen follower of politics and will delve and research until I am satisfied as to which is the best course of action.

I completely agree that my father did not put his life on the line for another country to decide how we should live.

• MynxMynx Posts: 101

On a lighter note, does anyone remember the EU regulation that cucumbers must be straight?