Forum home Plants

Canberra Gem

RuddGardenRuddGarden Posts: 3

Hi, I'm new to the forum ,and it must be said to gardening, but having recently bought my first house I'm enjoying getting in the garden and sorting it out. Its fairly small and cottage in character, with fences on three sites of the garden with the back of the house the fourth side. West facing, so sunny after lunch right through.

The garden is actually quite well stocked already, there are some established plants in there - winter jasmine, a magnolia tree, the borders are awash with tulips and we've got a purple lilac tree in colour at the moment.

I've been bought a plant from Australia, a Canberra Gem. Its quite spiky in appearance and I remember seeing a few when I was in Queensland last year. They're quite spectacular when in flower, although its not at the moment. I've no idea what to do with it though.

It is about 40cm tall and in a pot at the moment. I assume it can it go outside in the UK? Also, can they be pruned and shaped as they grow into a taller plant without damaging them, or maybe even trained to cover a fence? Or perhaps best left potted in a large pot. Advice is welcome.

Thanks!

• NanniemoNanniemo Posts: 220

Hi RuddGarden & welcome to the forum. According to the RHS website this plant is hardy in most of the UK from -10 to -5 so it should be ok outside. Take a look at the RHS website and it will give you more information regarding pruning etc. 

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 79,405

Hi RuddGarden and welcome image

It's not a plant I've grown as I believe it needs an acid soil and we garden on limestone, but there's lots of info here http://www.hardy-plant.org.uk/plantmonth/2014/may.php 

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• RuddGardenRuddGarden Posts: 3

Earlier in the week I potted this plant in a large pot on a southwest facing spot on the patio. After a day I noticed that the ends of the branches had wilted slightly. When I first had the plant they were tough and spikey, whereas now they were limp and softer to touch. Since then I've swapped it for a different pot, one that drains a little more freely and the ends of the branches have picked up completely (I thought this was remarkably quick), although the plant doesn't seem to have recovered its full 'spikeyness' yet.

If I was looking for things to be going wrong I'd also mention that some of the leaves have a black tint to them - although I'm not sure whether they were like this when it arrived.

What do you recommend? Whereabouts does this plant flower from?

Is there anything I can buy to help it along?

• RuddGardenRuddGarden Posts: 3