Forum home The potting shed

Vinegar Weed Killer

D0rdogne_DamselD0rdogne_Damsel Saint Yrieix La Perche, Haute Vienne/Dordogne border. FrancePosts: 3,952

As requested by Lily Pily here is the recipe for weed killer my Garden Club have been trying and have found to be very effective. This is for use on paths, driveways, terraces etc. 

It can be used without salt on areas to be used to grow plants on in the future. 

2.5 litres of 5% vinegar

2.5 litres of water

1 cup of salt (see above note)

1 tablespoon of washing up liquid

Mix thoroughly and spray as required, ideally on a hot sunny day (probably the most difficult ingredient to get hold of in some places) image

Apparently it kills anything green it touches (beware splashing).

I don't want to get into a debate about whether this is good/bad/indifferent for the environment - I am sure everyone will have their own opinions about that.I am just passing on the findings of the gardening club. 

I will be using it on my (very long) driveway and terrace to get the weeds jammed in the cracks. 

Please be sensible if you use it, I don't want any responsibility for killing someone's prize plants and label and store safely.  image

"To nurture a garden is to feed not just the body, but the soul." — Alfred Austin

• A bit confusing! Why do you specify salt if you don't need it?

• ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 28,551

There's some more info here, including different formulations, where it works best and the fact that it only kills top growth, not roots so is no good on deep rotted or perennial weeds - http://www.garden-counselor-lawn-care.com/vinegar-weed-killer.html

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
  • D0rdogne_DamselD0rdogne_Damsel Saint Yrieix La Perche, Haute Vienne/Dordogne border. FrancePosts: 3,952

Alan - The salt can stop growth in soil so if you are planning on weeding an area and then sowing/planting there afterwards the salt is not a good idea. For areas where you don't want regrowth (driveways/paths etc.) it allegedly stops the weeds coming back. image

"To nurture a garden is to feed not just the body, but the soul." — Alfred Austin
  • D0rdogne_DamselD0rdogne_Damsel Saint Yrieix La Perche, Haute Vienne/Dordogne border. FrancePosts: 3,952

Very informative article Obelixx, thanks for sharing. image

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 28,551

I think salt is really bad as it changes the soil and kills off beneficial micro organisms.   Better to use a carefully applied systemic weedkiller or a blow torch if your drive is too big to weed by hand.

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw