Forum home Problem solving

What's happening to my brand new prunus shirotae?

Hello all

Planted our first ever tree about two weeks ago, a prunus shirotae in a 2-foot-deep raised bed (open to soil at the bottom) at the bottom of the garden, and just spotted this happening to a few of the leaves. 

have self-diagnosed shothole disease—say it isn't so?

thanks!

Ian ximage

• Ladybird4Ladybird4 Posts: 36,160

Hi Ian. Your tree doesn't appear to have shot hole disease. This just looks like something has had a munch! Shot hole disease starts off with small dark blobs that eventually make the holes in the leaf and all the other leaves look very healthy. It looks to me a little like leaf miner work.

Cacoethes: An irresistible urge to do something inadvisable
  • iankellardiankellard Posts: 12

Oh Lordy I hope so! If that's so, do I need to worry? Let it do its devil's work? 

• Ladybird4Ladybird4 Posts: 36,160

If you have a close look at any affected leaves - that still haven't actually gone into holes - you might be able to see the little grub which burrows its way between the upper surface of the leaves and its inner layer. These often look like little tunnels hence the name leaf miner. Just pick off the affected leaves and dispose of or squish the bug between top and underside of leaf. Any places where the little larva has left the leaf as an tiny adult moth you can just leave on the tree. If you like using insecticides then you can spray your tree.

Cacoethes: An irresistible urge to do something inadvisable