Forum home Problem solving

Hogweed

Hi there, i was wondering if anyone has any good ideas about the eradication of hogweed which seems to be encroaching into the corner of my garden. I think this may be caused by a river that is about 20 feet from my garden.

• nutcutletnutcutlet Posts: 26,974

Is this our native hogweed or giant hogweed.

In the sticks near Peterborough
  • It is giant hogweed i believe.

• Flowerlover3Flowerlover3 Posts: 219

I don't know how to eradicate it but you should inform your local council it is growing by the river. Some councils will come and deal with it if it's growing in areas the general public use as it can cause horrific skin damage. Whatever you do, protect all bare skin.

Slice into it just below the growing points, it soon gives up. Worth posting a photo if you're not sure which it is. We had a lot of this and OH designed a tool, V-shaped blade on a long handle, worked a treat. It spreads by seeding, don't let it get that far. It doesn't spread underground.

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Posts: 82,724

If you want to check out the ID this site is very helpful

http://www.wildfooduk.com/articles/giant-hogweed-and-common-hogweed/

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

Neither of the hogweeds really encroach though do they Dove? They seed around and spread, 'encroaching' sounds like something with invasive roots

Absolutely agree Nut - and they're biennial aren't they?  Small plant first year, flower spike and seeds the next year then usually nothing but a crop of seedlings.

The plants themselves are just 'single plants' they don't send out runners or suckers etc.   

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

Not sure if they're biennial, never gave them the chance to prove it one way or the other. 

It was my fault they were here, the seeds where pretty and I didn't know what they wereimage

Just googled and it says GH is biennial and the common hogweed is biennial or perennial. image