Forum home Plants

Help with indentification

webb_danwebb_dan Posts: 2

Hi All,

I am hoping that someone can help me identify the plant below. My Back garden is over run with it. It roots very deep and if you cut through the root it it grows back within days. Also is there an easier way to remove them?

Thanks in advance.

• Ladybird4Ladybird4 Third rock from the sunPosts: 34,433

Hi webb_dan. This is an absolute thug but beloved by bees. It is called alkanet. The only way to eradicate it is to dig down forever untill you get all the roots out. I haven't ever tried a weed killer to get rid of mine, I just slice it off at ground level every time I want to control it. A systemic weedkiller might be suitable and someone else will be able to advise you further. I keep a 'controlled' patch as I like its blue flowers and the beneficial insects like it too.

Cacoethes: An irresistible urge to do something inadvisable
  • webb_danwebb_dan Posts: 2

Hi Ladybird4,

Thanks for your help.

• Ladybird4Ladybird4 Third rock from the sunPosts: 34,433

You're welcome.

Cacoethes: An irresistible urge to do something inadvisable
  • Pete.8Pete.8 Billericay, EssexPosts: 9,045

As Ladybird says it's a real thug and seeds all over the place, so best to get rid of it. And much respect to Ladybird for digging the stuff up, the tap root just goes down forever.

I use glyphosphate (Roundup etc) on it - used as per the instructions I give it a squirt and a follow up with another squirt about 10 days later. It sticks nicely to the hairy leaves.
    When it's reduced to a black mess it should be dead.

Don't be tempted to remove the top until it's dead. The glyphosphate is taken in via the leaves and spreads to all parts of the plant. I think it works by preventing the plant from absorbing water, so it dies of thirst.

Glyphosphate becomes inactive on contact with soil.

Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit.
    Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.