Forum home Wildlife gardening

Pond planting

ZenjeffZenjeff Newcastle Upon Tyne Posts: 641

are planting bags or baskets best for planting in a pond and what sizes to use please

• Ladybird4Ladybird4 Third rock from the sunPosts: 35,518

Hi Zenjeff. It is advisable to use planting baskets with lots of holes round the base and sides and the sizes needed will all depend on the plants you wish to put in them. Does your pond have a marginal shelf too? Some plants only like a little water over their roots whereas others like to be at the bottom of the pond. Always use special aquatic compost - low in nutrients - to avoid an algal bloom in the pond.

Cacoethes: An irresistible urge to do something inadvisable
  • darren636darren636 Posts: 666

Hessian bags will fall apart pretty quickly.

Go for mesh baskets. 

• WateryWatery Posts: 388

I looked into those synthetic pond "socks" and it turns out newts can get their feet tangled in them.  Baskets.  And I used only washed grit--no aquatic compost beyond what came with the plant.

• darren636darren636 Posts: 666

As for aquatic soil being low nutrient- absolute nonsense- its loaded with nitrogen which releases massive quantities of ammonia. Very nutritious for plants. 

It may well be slightly lower in n.p.k  than a John innes or multipurpose, but not by much.

• Ladybird4Ladybird4 Third rock from the sunPosts: 35,518

Low being the operative word Darren. You even agree by saying it is low in n (nitrates); p (phosphates) and k (potash). This is the same as what I said.

Cacoethes: An irresistible urge to do something inadvisable
  • ZenjeffZenjeff Newcastle Upon Tyne Posts: 641

Thanks for all your help baskets it is thanimage