Forum home Problem solving

Squirrel Proof Bird Feeders

Hi,

Does anyone have any experience with choosing a bird feeder that will be squirrel proof? I have found this website below very useful:

http://gardenbirdlife.com/

And was thinking of purchasing a wire globe type bird feeder, which appears to be totally squirrel proof. But knowing how ingenious these creatures can be I was wondering if anyone has used one and whether it has indeed worked or not?

Many thanks, Roger

• plant pauperplant pauper Posts: 6,234

Someone last year had an amazing array of feeders. Might have been fidgetbones.

http://www.gardenersworld.com/forum/talkback/bird-feeders/845125.html

Yep! As I thought.

• Joyce21Joyce21 Posts: 15,489

I have yet to find a totally squirrel proof oneimage.  I have resorted to part of a dog's lead to prevent them opening it. . . . the chain and the clip that goes onto the dog's collar. . . that worksimageHowever an adult managed to squeeze into the feeder through the metal bars but couldn't get out. . . I opened the lid at arm's length to free it.

Good luck!!

SW Scotland
  • fidgetbonesfidgetbones Posts: 16,661

I found the young squirrels can get in the bird cage type. As they get fatter on my peanuts, they get excluded.

I have bought new ones this year, but basically replaced my old  dilapidated ones with new ones. I bought the Yankee Drolls new generation, and a new squirrel buster.

• plant pauperplant pauper Posts: 6,234

That's a bit like Winnie the Pooh eating the hunnie in rabbit's house! Visions of fat squirrels waiting to get out!image

• FairygirlFairygirl Posts: 52,032

I think they can get in those ones Roger (love your forum name!) but fidgetbones' has a good one as already mentioned.

I made my own 'cage' round feeders which keeps squirrels and starlings out and allows the little birds in. Even the robins and dunnocks can use it - they've learned to perch quite happily image

I will make a better version of it this year with a proper roof - it's quite sturdy wire mesh and has foxed the flying rats totally - despite their best intentions!

It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

I live in west central Scotland - not where that photo is...