Forum home Plants

Plant ID Please

JAC51JAC51 Posts: 152

hi guys. Anyone know what this is ?  Got quite a lot of it in my mum's garden that I've inherited. Wondering whether to dig up or leave in

imageimageThanks

• Ladybird4Ladybird4 Third rock from the sunPosts: 34,462

Hi JAC51 it looks like creeping buttercup to me. If it proves to be that then you need to get rid of it.

Cacoethes: An irresistible urge to do something inadvisable
  • Ladybird4Ladybird4 Third rock from the sunPosts: 34,462

I should have added that some of these cunning wild plants have a way of disguising themselves to look like something more worthwhile. image

Cacoethes: An irresistible urge to do something inadvisable
  • B3B3 South East LondonPosts: 22,311

It looks like wood aven / herb Bennett. It's a pain. don't let it seed or you'll never get rid of it.

In London. Keen but lazy.
  • nutcutletnutcutlet PeterboroughPosts: 26,559

Geum urbanum, wood avens as B3 says

• Wood avens. Terrible roots to dig out too. Hoick it out quickly.

• JAC51JAC51 Posts: 152

Oh dear I think I've got an awful lot of hoicking out to do this weekend! Still I get to be outside which must be better than inside. Thanks everyone

• B3B3 South East LondonPosts: 22,311

I wish there had been a site like this when i started. I looked at the bxxxxrs and thought, how lucky I am, there's geums all over my garden. 

You need to be really sure before you let an unidentified plant seed. That being said, I also have some lovely wildflowers that just happened in my garden.

There's some excellent advice available on this site. Don't be afraid to use it. We all love a what's this post

In London. Keen but lazy.