Forum home Tools and techniques

Greenhouse shading

Does anyone know the best way to shade the greenhouse? Is it bubble wrap or shading paint? Our greenhouse is made of perspex panes not glass. 

• plant pauperplant pauper Posts: 6,234

Bubble wrap's your insulation and it will cut the glare a bit but shade paint's your shading. I remember MD doing a huge GH in Guernsay and he splatterd shade paint all over the place to get a sort of dappling effect rather than total white out. It depends how you're going to use it I suppose. I have a very small GH and only use it as a "frost keeper offer " so I drape things around as it suits me.

• screscenziscrescenzi Posts: 12

Ok, will have a look into that then. Thanks. ? Was just a bit worried about shade paint on perspex. 

I don't think it's "paint" as such but check it out. I got the idea it was more like shoe whitening. Somebody on here will know better than I but they're all in the garden. This evening you'll get more answers. image

• screscenziscrescenzi Posts: 12

haha, thanks...will keep checking! image

• I've got a polycarbonate greenhouse and didn't like the sound of the shade paint so I bought two strips of shade netting from ebay which I drape over the greenhouse roof.

To keep them in place I bound a bamboo pole to each end of the strips - I used very thin ones on one side so they can slide into the greenhouse gutter to hold it in place and thicker ones the other end (which just dangle down the side). It takes less than 2 minutes to put on/take off.

Our greenhouse is in a corner of the garden so it doesn't get much wind though - I don't know if this would work in a windy location.

• @Aym280: this is the shade I bought http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/291380164253

• cornellycornelly Posts: 825

On the glasshouse I use a paint on product called "Cool Glass" specially produced to reduce the intensity of the suns rays, it can be wiped of with a dry cloth later in the year when needs are over, should imagine it would work on other surfaces, paint it on with a roller on a brush handle.

• Fishy65Fishy65 Posts: 2,233

I bought netting last year, I think from Wilkinsons if I remember correctly. It does the job image

I am a cheapskate. A building nearby was being re-rendered or some such and the builders, when they'd finished, took a mile and a half of green netting and tried to put it in the skip. Brian O'Driscoll eat your heart out! I took them out at the knees and wrestled it from them. Actually I gave them a tin of Heroes and they folded it nicely and put it in my car! image Keep an eye out for bargains and free stuff.

• Nanny BeachNanny Beach Posts: 2,999

I bought green fleece, in winter it double glazes, and in summer shades, I dont bother to take it down, cheap as chips on e-bay.  My "top" greenhouse, has the green netting stuff, I used to have "soft" bright green netting, which was much easier to work with, but you cannot seem to get this anymore, so its the thick dark green net stuff.