Forum home The potting shed

Confession to make!

hogweedhogweed Central ScotlandPosts: 4,053

I have to confess that I still have not got round all my garden clearing up from the winter. I know you all down south have been out in shorts and tee shirts but it is still cold up here in Scotland. Granted it is a bit warmer today but I still have long sleeved thermal vest on and sweatshirt. !! I took the opportunity today to put down weedkiller on my paths - according to the packet it needs 6 hours of dry weather!! Fingers crossed. This is the first day this year I could have attempted it. Our winter has been long up here - lots of cold winds and rain although not many freezing days. And little snow thankfully. Let's hope today is the start of better weather for us and I can get cracking.  I have never been ttis late before in getting the garden cleaned. .

In the garden the tulips are doing well, the daffodils just passing, pulmonaria and a viburnum out, so is kerria. Just the tiniest bit of colour on the magnolia buds.

Is anyone else behind or is it just me?

'Optimism is the faith that leads to achievement' - Helen Keller

• B3B3 South East LondonPosts: 24,033

It's just you hogweed.. Get out and get on with it

In London. Keen but lazy.
  • plant pauperplant pauper Posts: 6,234

I feel a little better having read that. I have a few tulips and some violas, a couple of heuchera look as if they like where I put them and I completely forgot about my pulmonaria. I just thought I was rubbish and ill prepared (I am that as well) but the weather here has been lousy. No shorts for me for all sorts of reasons!!!! Not even yesterday (naked gardening day!). We'll catch up Hoggers. Don't you worry! Check out Verdun's "worrying" thred today. They're all at their sunshiney lovliness! Dove has the parasol and Pimms on the go for goodness sake. image There is no face with an umbrella and wellies so I went for sunglasses with a hint of irony.

• Joyce21Joyce21 Posts: 15,489

I got an early start in March then came to a standstill with all the rain in April.  It's a lot warmer on the SW coast (Scotland) today and plant growth is fairly rapid.

We will catch up Hogweedimage

SW Scotland

I can sepll ralely! B****y eidt bottun!

Early start. I'll give you early start. I was picking snow out of my ears until last week. 

• KT53KT53 GloucestershirePosts: 7,531

Having watched the Beechgrove Garden this morning and seen the snow falling I can sympathise.  I'm actually having problems here today because it's too hot.  The crazy changes in temperature from day to day are difficult to cope with.

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 82,149

Although the weather is gorgeous, and actually hasn't been too bad all spring, the groundwork and re-organisation we had planned is way behind schedule due to 'family circumstances' ........... we'll just have to 'go with the flow'.  image

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 48,985

Hogweed- I think you're further north than me, but we've had the same - drier than normal March (although cold of course) so I did some tidying and prep then, and April continued in the same way. We didn't have the usual rainfall and wild weather either - it kept just missing us - which was helpful for me with the building work going on. It also helped the grass which is already recovering now that most of the junk has gone. A normal March and April would have made it a mudbath. It's rarely possible to do much at that time of year here.

It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

Your flow is looking mighty fine Dove. That pic you posted earlier of that burst of colour is gorgeous!

• Mark56Mark56 Windsor, BerkshirePosts: 1,653

It's 27c here today, but we had a freezing and cold April as well. Such drastic changes in temperature don't seem to be great for the garden nor me!