Forum home Plants

Indentify this plant please

Lisa FlattLisa Flatt Posts: 6

imageimage

Can anyone indentify this ? 

• FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 47,198

It's a euphorbia Lisa - but the weedy one as opposed to  cultivated variety. I've forgotten it's name image

It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• BobTheGardenerBobTheGardener Leicestershire, UKPosts: 11,337

It's a euphorbia and may be e. lathyris (aka caper spurge), especially if it has appered by itself.

A trowel in the hand is worth a thousand lost under a bush.
  • BobTheGardenerBobTheGardener Leicestershire, UKPosts: 11,337

appeared! No edit yet!

A trowel in the hand is worth a thousand lost under a bush.

I just remembered the name but you've beaten me to it Bob!  image

• Lisa FlattLisa Flatt Posts: 6

Yes it appeared after clearing the area of nettles and brambles. So it doesn't have a flower ? 

Thank you guys. Can anyone tell me or post a picture of its flower ? 

They have bracts rather than flowers Lisa. It means the flower is actually a tiny little thing but inside a bigger structure which gives it the appearance of a flower - if that makes any sense! They're an acidic greeny yellow in colour. Most people would get rid of it, and if they like the type and habit of plant, they buy a named variety instead. They're very useful foliage plants, especially for dry areas.

I'm unable to post pix just now but if you google Euphorbia Lathyris you'll get a few pix that way. image

Oh ok. Thank you. Seen a pic now. I have another variety which is more bushy in the front garden. I think I will keep the weed for now because as you say it does have an interesting foliage and the area needs to be filled with something. I quite like the small forest appearance of them all growing together  ?

• Ladybird4Ladybird4 Third rock from the sunPosts: 34,503

Hi Lisa. Handle with care and avoid getting the milky sap on yourself as it is a known skin irritant.

Cacoethes: An irresistible urge to do something inadvisable

Ok. I read that it is also called a mole plant as it supposed to deter moles. I have a problem with moles so if there is any truth in this , I'm keeping them !!! Thanks for the advice ladybird ?