Forum home Garden design

WHAT IS GOOD AS A FOCAL POINT OF BORDER

The border is about 5 x 20 feet. 

The fence is 6 feet high. At the center I made a 3 x 3 feet basis for something attractive, such as a chair, an arbour seat etc., and now I placed a plastic chair temporarily.

Climbing roses and clematis will grow on the fence both side of the center. 

I want you the gardeners in UK to advise me what is good for this place.  

I'd be really delighted if I could have a lot of advises. 

• Ladybird4Ladybird4 Third rock from the sunPosts: 34,509

Hello Poirot. Your garden looks lovely - and very full. If you would like something really spectacular as a focal point you could try growing a cardoon (Cynara cardunculus). I am so sorry that I do not know your climate and the temperatures experienced so recommending plants to grow is a little difficult. A beautiful acer would also make a focal point. Good luck.

Cacoethes: An irresistible urge to do something inadvisable
  • POIROTPOIROT Posts: 4

Dear Ladybird4 

Thank you for your advice.  USDA hardiness zone of our area is 9b (minimum temperature; 25-30 F) and it is very hot in summer (high temperature is almost 100 F) and we have a rainy season in June and July. 

I've never seen a cardoon, however, I found it on Google image search and it looks so spectacular and it is even edible!  

We have Acer Japanese maple beside the border and we love it.  

Hi again Poirot. I am assuming that you want something fairly showy as your focal point so what about Berberis sunjoy Tangelo. Good colour on this plant which may contrast nicely with the acer you have. I have two lovely shrubs/trees in my garden which smell nice and attract the bees. One is called Clethra barbinervis - which is a Japanese plant and the other is Eucryphia glutinosa which originates in South America. I love both of these.

• POIROTPOIROT Posts: 4

Dear Ladybird4

Thank you so much for showing me nice plants for our garden. 

I'll discuss with my wife and try to find them in Japan. 

Dear Poirot

It has been my pleasure.