New Forum

Would anyone be interested in starting a new forum?

• punkdocpunkdoc Posts: 5,101

Hi David.

I am really hoping that the forum will be fixed, as I would really like us all stay together.

If this does not happen, and enough people want it, then your idea might be, the only solution.

I wanted your soft verges 
    But you gave me the hard shoulder..

• fidgetbonesfidgetbones Posts: 11,085

I wouldn't know where to start. The last breakaway group have a forum, but I can't say I'm keen.

This is the only forum I have ever belonged to, and now it's broken.image

I can't keep using a site that is hurting me physically.

It's not a mess, it's a nature reserve.
  • philippa smith2philippa smith2 Posts: 6,092

It may well be an option David..........messing about on this one is both frustrating and time consuming.

• Hazel --Hazel -- Posts: 4,525

I'd be interested David K.image

• Aster2Aster2 Posts: 629

I would join.

• YviestevieYviestevie Posts: 3,738

I think we need to give the team a chance to sort things out before we jump ship 

Hi from Kingswinford in the West Midlands
  • FairygirlFairygirl Posts: 19,692

I'm like doc- I'm giving it a chance because I don't want to  lose the lovely community I've been part of for over three years. image

Can I recommend looking at the new thread Nora's started showing the issues they've  taken  into account and will hopefully resolve.

I've darkened the background colour on my laptop by using the 'fn' and 'f5' keys. I found it glarey too, and I don't have sight issues.  It seems to help a bit so perhaps it will resolve it slightly for anyone who finds it far too dazzling. 

• Lily PillyLily Pilly Posts: 3,008

I dont want us to break up, I too have been here long enough to consider myself in the midst of friends who share my love of gardening   Will give it a week ?

Weeds are flowers, too, once you get to know them.”
    A A Milne
  • Kitty 2Kitty 2 ManchesterPosts: 3,443
    fidgetbones says:

This is the only forum I have ever belonged to, and now it's broken.image

See original post

Me too fidget. image

Lots of regulars missing today and people asking for recommendations of other forums.

Feeling like I may log on one morning to find everyone's b*ggered off somewhere else.

• KEFKEF Posts: 8,915

David I would be no help in starting a Forum. I would join if you are involved. I just hope it doesn't have to come to that. I will also give it a week.  

• When I suggested a new forum, I had in mind something like this:

Not difficult to set up, but needs commitment to administer.

• Hazel --Hazel -- Posts: 4,525

Wouldn't have a clue David- sorry.

• Zoomer44Zoomer44 Posts: 2,902

I'd join wouldn't have clue a bout how to set it up though.

• TopbirdTopbird Posts: 3,461

I'm certainly not ready to jump ship - too many friends on here - both virtual and real life. I also think the tech guys deserve a chance to put things right.

As somebody who has previously helped with setting up a website and integral forum on a voluntary basis I would definitely not volunteer to administer one again. We had quite a few issues with the hosting package (regular loss of service) and to get anything like a decent hosting package cost a few pennies. It was an annual fee - not a one-off - can't remember how much or with whom - it wasn't a fortune but it wasn't free either.

It was also a big commitment as users expected the service to be running 24/7 which means the web masters / administrators had to be available whenever there was a problem. Fortunately we were able to pass the responsibility over to someone else.

Heaven is ... sitting in the garden with a G&T and a cat while watching the sun go down
  • Daniel HaynesDaniel Haynes Posts: 369

Hello David,

We're very much aware that a lot of you are cross with us at the moment - we (quite unintentionally) annoyed you by making some unwelcome changes to a forum that many of you cherish.

As mentioned on other threads, we're in the process of doing our very best to make up for that. We made the initial changes we were able to as quickly as we possibly could, and more will be released over the coming week (in direct response to the feedback that you've all given us).

Yes, the changes should have been beta-tested first, but they weren't and for that we sincerely apologise.

Some of you are so irritated you feel inclined to jump ship and start a new forum. I understand that, but do ask that you bear with us a little longer while we work to correct the mistakes that have been made.

Anybody who wishes to set up their own forum can do so quickly and easily with various tools such as ProBoards ( They'll soon find, though, that maintaining and moderating a forum isn't the walk in the park that they might imagine it to be.

We do out best to moderate the forum with a 'light touch' - it's your space, after all. We certainly don't wish to censor forum users or stifle free speech. If a comment or thread is deleted, it's done reluctantly and after careful consideration (in light of our code of conduct).

That said, we are a business and I'm afraid we're not willing to offer a platform for people to freely exchange links to other forums. Any user of this site is quite at liberty to use any other site or forum that they wish, but it isn't our job to promote them. So, I must respectfully request that you refrain from posting any further links. Any other links will be removed. I'm sorry if that seems draconian.

People won't yet be aware of this, but the whole web and technical teams have been working extremely hard over the last six months or so on forthcoming changes to the site - literally hundreds of projects, features and videos. Those changes aren't too far away, so we ask you to cut us a little slack while we finish them off. We're not perfect, but we are doing our best.

So, that's enough from me for the evening.

To recap:

We are listening.

We will delete any further posts linking to external forums, or those posted with the intention of luring other users away from this forum.

Thank you,

Daniel Haynes

• RedwingRedwing Posts: 829

Daniel et al: I think you guys are listening and trying to put things right and you've admitted mistakes.

Let's give them a chance people and call a truce on the criticisms.  They are doing the right things.

Thank you, Redwing - much appreciated. image

• David - I have, like you, landed here as an ex-Beeb poster.  I love this board - it is friendly (usually) and user-friendly - and that counts for a lot.  I would hate to have to re-establish connections in another place.

I know I am not one of the mainstay of this board.  I read often, and post occasionally as the whim takes me.  But it is here, for me.  And for others.  It has been a lovely place to exchange ideas, gardening tips and to learn from others' experiences.

So I shall hold fire, as it were, and hope that there will be significant changes that retain my loyalty.  I think that the team is, perhaps, surprised by the depth of feeling for the changes that have been made.  It's not just a case of "heads in sand" and unwilling to embrace change - it's a case of not seeing the need for change in the first place.

So I shall stay here for now.  I shall keep in touch daily.  But if it doesn't show a real response to posters' concerns, then I'll be with you.

• Dave MorganDave Morgan Posts: 3,122

Daniel Haynes,

I am, reading the above post, somewhat taken aback by its tone. 

I'm pleased at the acknowledgement that mistakes have been made and that beta testing wasn't done as it should have been. I'm also pleased that the team are working to resolve the issues raised. I look forward to seeing them, and if, and its a big if, they work and if it benefits the users.

However to then state you will delete posts ,"those posted with the intention of luring other users away from this forum" is from a customer service point of view an absolute no no. 

You state you are a business, we know that, thats why the forum was changed, the BBC needed to make extra money and forum members have paid the price in that headlong rush for the extra cash.

Do supermarkets threaten to deduct points from loyalty card schemes if a customer uses another supermarket? No. They look for ways to regain trust and loyalty.

The members of the forum are your customers you don't post an implied threat if they choose or consider going elsewhere and talk to each other about going elsewhere. It's a complete no no.

I wouldn't dare say what you've said to a customer. I'd have been sacked on the spot.

The forum wasn't changed in a 'rush for extra cash'. It was changed for various reasons, the chief of which was that all sites need to be regularly refreshed. The site hasn't had a significant design refresh for five years - a long time in design terms. The site, as built in 2011 was not 'mobile friendly' (by which we mean smartphone and tablet). We needed to upgrade the whole site to make it a better experience for the significant number of users who use mobile devices.

The feedback since the relaunch has indicated that a lot of desktop users feel the quality of their experience has significantly declined. We're in the process of addressing that.

One of the main reasons for rebuilding the site is that sites that aren't 'mobile friendly' are not as visible in Google. We (not unreasonably) want as many people as possible to find us in search engines. It's that, and not some Machiavellean 'rush for cash' that has informed the redesign.

And, for the record, we are looking for ways to rebuild trust and loyalty (which we've never taken for granted).

My polite request about not posting links to other forums was not a threat - it was actually an attempt to be transparent and honest. I maintain that it's quite reasonable to point out that we're not here to promote other services or forums.

You seem determined to read ill intent into everything that we post. There isn't any ill intent - just a sincere attempt to deliver the best experience we can for people. We've failed in that quest over the last week - we're planning to correct that over the coming week.

Daniel Haynes