Forum home Plants

Climbing rose as a tree or freestanding

wakeshinewakeshine Posts: 967

Has anyone had experience of growing a climbing rose just freestanding, ie not training it up anything? My rose is Handel. I don't want to put in a container to train up a wall trellis as originally planned. I had aadvice from a rosarian who said don't put in a pot, it needs to go in ground. I don't have space in the bedding area next to the fence, and in any case it's neighbours fence so don't want to put climbing rose on that. Rose expert said just put in ground, it will be fine and spread as a tree. Keep pruning it. I have another space which is open but not against anything. Anyone with experience of using climbing roses in this way? 

• punkdocpunkdoc Sheffield, Derbyshire border.Posts: 12,021

You will end up only getting flowers on the tops of the branches.

The reason you train branches horizontally, is so that side shoots that grow from the horizontal branches, produce flowers. That way you get a lot more flowers, at various heights.

Consequences, altered cases
    Broken noses, altered faces
    My ego altered, altered egos
    Wherever I go, so does me go
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 79,557

Have you thought about using an obelisk to train it around so that you get the almost horizontal training of the stems which will encourage flowering.

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• wakeshinewakeshine Posts: 967

Oh is it thank you for this information. I didn't realise you have to train them horizontally to get flowers. I regret buying the rose now but I had been looking at it for a while online and it catalogues and it was expensive around 20. Then by chance I saw it for 7.99 at my local garden centre and I coudn't resist it. does pruning give more flowers? Can i train it to produce more flowers anyway as per normal roses?

I thought about an obelisk but I dont think it will look nice in the ground on the raised bed where I thought about putting it. i might post a picture of my garden layout, then maybe someone could advise/suggest where it could go.

Have a look here http://paulzimmermanroses.com/gardening/training-roses/pillaring-a-climbing-rose/

Paul Zimmerman explains things so clearly - scroll down to see the video demonstration.

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

Thank you I will have a look image

Dovefromabove says:

Have a look here http://paulzimmermanroses.com/gardening/training-roses/pillaring-a-climbing-rose/

Paul Zimmerman explains things so clearly - scroll down to see the video demonstration.

See original post
    Wow. Amazing method, very helpful video. It's given me some ideas what I could do..

He has made several videos on training and pruning climbing roses. Ive never seen clearer or better explanations. Just put his name and roses into google :-)

Thanks, I will. I will try to,learn a bit more before planting it out!