Forum home The potting shed

extra deep pots

Hi I have inherited 3 lovely very large pots .They are about 600mm deeep and about 270mm  diameter at the top tapering down to about 200mm at the bottom .i,d like advice on the best way to plan t these and what to plant in them any advice much appreciated .

• Flowerlover3Flowerlover3 Posts: 219

Perfect for patio clematis, they need the depth, you could plant trailing lobelia or something with them.

• ShepsSheps West YorkshirePosts: 1,315
    Flowerlover3 says:

Perfect for patio clematis, they need the depth, you could plant trailing lobelia or something with them.

See original post

Agree with the above and this is what I'll be doing with my deep pots.

mine are 460mm deep and 500mm wide, I'll be planting Clematis Cezanne to climb the obelisks and lobelia around the edges to add a little protection for the Clematis roots.

• Flowerlover3Flowerlover3 Posts: 219

Sheps I have Cezanne in a huge hanging basket, a beautiful Clematis, it is only coming into it's second year (with me but it was from Taylors so would have been 2yrs old when I got it) it had three stems last year but now it has loads of new ones coming up as well, I'm so excited, can hardly wait for the show!

• Lizzie27Lizzie27 SomersetPosts: 10,542

Hi Tom,

You could also try some Lily Regale which need deep pots, yours sound like lily pots to me which are usually tall and tapered. 

Hopefully you can still get some potted up Lilies from the GC.

• sanjy67sanjy67 Posts: 1,007

tomatoes would be good also in them, they like really deep pots :)