Forum home Plants

Clematis Identification

LucidLucid Posts: 385

Hi everyone,

I was in a Wyevale garden centre earlier today and saw a really nice clematis. But being good I didn't purchase it as I've already got 2 in the back garden.

However since arriving back home I've spotted a perfect place for it. Knowing that Wyevale are more expensive than other places anyway I've attempted to search online. The only issue is I can't remember the name of it and Wyevale don't seem to have it on their website. The closest I've found is the Avalanche but I think the flowers were smaller.

So does anyone have any ideas for a clematis that is in flower this time of year and completely covered in very small white/cream flowers? I think it may have been an evergreen but can't remember entirely. It was on sale for about £16 - £18 and was much more expensive than most of the others there.

Thanks if anyone has any ideas,

Lucid :)

• darren636darren636 Posts: 666

Montana,

Cartmanii

Armandii

Alpina

• LucidLucid Posts: 385

Thanks very much darren636. I think it was possibly a Cartmanii 'Joe' as I seem to remember it had a male name in there, but I've just spotted it is described as a non clinging Clematis so does this mean it doesn't have tendrils to climb?

http://www.taylorsclematis.co.uk/clematis-joe.html

Thanks aym280. Yes I've got a Montana 'Freda' already, although it is yet to grow and flower this year. As a result I have been tempted by those very cheap Montanas in Tescos recently but I chose the Freda for its deep pink colour. s it turns out I don't think the 'Joe' will be suitable for what I want anyway as it needs to be tied in. I'm after something that can grow and needs minimal pruning - am thinking of the backing to my pond to go in between an evergreen Jasmine and a wild honeysuckle as there's quite a large gap. But being behind the pond it means access for regular training is not possible.

I'll have to do some further research I think.

Lucid image

• Flowerlover3Flowerlover3 Posts: 219

Lucid, I have planted a couple of Clematis at the back of my pond and I have to balance on a plank across it a few times a year to prune, feed and tie them in!! I must be mad but they look great image

• JulieH3JulieH3 Posts: 85

Lucid, our Wyevale has also been displaying spring clematis and 'pixie' was one of them, small cream flowers, lovely scent. I was not so strong willed as you and caved. Maybe look this one up too. It's an evergreen. 

• Some of the ' evergreen ' clematis can look foul in Summer, napaulensis for example is Summer dormant and looks dead until about September. 

No clematis have tendrils.

Thanks for the further replies everyone.  

aym280 - Thanks for the tips. I don't currently have any early Spring flowering climbers so I guess I was quite taken with this one to fill that gap. But if it is a type that looks bad for the rest of the year then I'd probably prefer something different.

Flowerlover3 - Yes I was trying to avoid having to do that, but it's good to hear it works for you, so I'll consider it as an option. Can just see myself falling in! 

JulieH3 - I don't think it was the pixie although that does look nice. I'd need to research whether it looks good all year or not though I think.

Richard Hodson - Yes I'd prefer not to have something that doesn't look that great in the Summer so will probably avoid the evergreen idea. I thought that the tendrils were what the clematis plants use to twine on to the supports? I've got a Doctor Ruppel which definitely has that kind of thing - or is tendrils the wrong name?

Also on another thread Verdun mentioned Taylors Clematis being a good supplier and I checked their website out. If you look at the following page then they seem an absolute bargain as you will get a 2 year old plant that is already established:

http://www.taylorsclematis.co.uk/the-size-of-clematis-plants-we-grow.html

• MarlorenaMarlorena East AngliaPosts: 6,783

I'm liking these Koreana hybrid clematis very much.... this one below is called 'Propertius' and it flowers again in mid summer, almost as much as the Spring flush...

I have another new one called koreana 'Amber' which I got from the Taylors clematis site linked above...  it'll be released at Chelsea this month.. and is just getting ready to bloom now, it's a yellowish flower...

'Propertius' [koreana x 'Rosie o'Grady']

• FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 47,154

Hi Lucid - it's the new, soft young stems which wind round the supports - or the rest of the plant, or other plants nearby! image

If you take a close look, you'll see the tiny little stems wrap themselves neatly, and tightly round whatever is next to them  image 

It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

Marlorena - that looks lovely, although it seems Taylors Clematis don't have that exact variety at the moment. But I will definitely look in to those as I don't have any flowers like those. Are they good for bees etc too?

Fairygirl - thanks for the clarification. I'm sure that they are referred to as tendrils on a lot of websites etc but it's good to know that's not the correct term. I've still got lots to learn! image

Lucid image