Forum home The potting shed

Dentists

I attended a dentists appointment this morning for a large filling. She injected the local anaesthesia in two places but I was still feeling pain even with just the cold water, she didn't even get to start drilling.

So she made a third injection and STILL it hurt. As a result no work was done. This is the first time I've had a local anaesthetic turn out to be ineffective. Has anyone else experienced this? She has made another appt for the 16th and I asked her what would happen if the injections didn't work next time and she said the filling wouldn't be done.

I will say she does sometimes seem to be in a hurry, as if she's wanting to get the next patient in asap.

• Beaus MumBeaus Mum Posts: 3,540

i would say change your dentist fishy.  You have to pay highly for the service so choose another one that will take care of you properly and give you the time you deserve 

• Fishy65Fishy65 Posts: 2,253

Thanks folks (notice I didn't say guys?) image 

Being a carer for Mrs F I'm an NHS patient Beaus Mum. But because NHS work is a set price I'm wondering if she's rushing me through to give priority to her private patients.

I know how brave you are Verdun, I bet you get a lolly pop every time? image It does make me think though because I saw an emergency dentist in March and she got my jaw totally numb.

• Snow MaidenSnow Maiden South Coast UKPosts: 862

I had this once, ended up having 3 injections and still they didn't work sat for an hour in the waiting room before giving up and going home, but boy oh boy did I get a dead mouth later in the afternoon....... changed to another dentist!

Sorry to hear that flowers and can identify with the after effects. My jaw is really bruised now image

Mrs F is not too bad thanks Verdun image I'm considering changing practice, at least I know the drill now and can hopefully get to the root of the problem. But for now I'm filling in time image

Yep those lolly pops. Do you think dentists really want us all to have good teeth? They'd be out of work surely.

• LynLyn DevonPosts: 16,554

I am one of those silly people that have needle phobia, so any work gets done without one.

i ask first on a scale of one to ten how much will it hurt, if it's below Seven just get on with as quick as possible. I have had three back doubles capped once, he had to drill loads of the teeth away to fix the cap too, after that he always refers to me as the person that doesn't feel pain! Not quite true, but the thought of a needle, I'm out of the door.

i have only had one filling in the past twenty years, so thought I could take the pain of that one, he is an extremely good dentist though.

Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor.