blue-currant-bush--

Hi having just moved I have identified a huge bush in my garden as a blue currant bush? But there is very little on the net it seems about them. Can someone please tell me whether I should prune it hard now as most of the growth looks woody and would like to make it smaller and bushier for next year. Also only has a handful of currants this year so would love to change this thanks for any help!! 

• fidgetbonesfidgetbones Posts: 11,273

Blueberry or blackcurrant?

It's not a mess, it's a nature reserve.
  • PeterE17PeterE17 Posts: 129

Sue, as fidgetbones hints, there is no plant popularly called a 'blue currant'. It could be either of fb's ideas, or a jostaberry, berberis, mahonia, and so on ... can you post a picture please?   

http://science.halleyhosting.com/nature/gorge/5petal/goose/stinkcur.htm 

this is the link I found as currants blue but not blueberry leaves? 

Like I said berries/currants def blue with whitish powder coating like sloes and blueberries but bush looks like currant so blue currant article only one I can find 

thanks in anticipation 

As you said,californian black currant. A rare beast.

Do the leaves stink?

• Going out to smell them now!! 

• No they don't smell and was not living here when flowering time so even n more confused .. image

Well, if it is its still  ribes. I would just thin out any old branches from the base to open it up a bit. The leaves certainly look like a currant. I don't suppose there's any possibility that fruit is attached to another plant growing underneath it?

• Not that I can see. There are lots of think woody branches coming up so can I prune right back to about two foot high do you think so get some new growth coming up ? 

Huge thanks for all your help forum friends will be a regular reader and poster I can tell xx