Forum home Fruit & veg

Tomato Question

2»

• IgrowfromseedIgrowfromseed Posts: 284
    Tomatoes moved outside to their permanent site next to a south facing wall behind my raised beds. When sprinkler waters the beds it should also catch the tomatoes, well that's the theory. Amazing amount of heat gets radiated back from that wall during the night. Will be covering them with fleece if night time temp forcast for below 10'C

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Posts: 87,949
    Lovely spot for them , but I wouldn't let the sprinkler anywhere near them. You need to water the pots not the leaves ... wet tomato leaves are the perfect invitation to all sorts of fungal problems ... including blight! 

Gardening in Central Norfolk on improved gritty moraine over chalk ... free-draining.

Sprinkler will hopefully only catch pots and lower stems. Needs must when I away and no one else to water them.
  • Blue OnionBlue Onion Posts: 2,995
    Soaker hose on a timer switch?  Just lay it one way down the tops of your pots, then curve around the last one and come back down the other side.
    Utah, USA.
    If only it was possible. When we are away for long weekends then mission control centre in the greenhouse has 4 water computers each controlling different parts of garden, staging and greenhouse. I could possibly buy another water timer and length of hose for a dedicated leaky pipe for the tomatoes? Come to think of it I 've got some pot drip waterers knocking about somewhere that would do the job. I'll have to have a think about it.

• PlashingPlashing Posts: 328
    I have found that tomatoes do better in pots because the grow bag have not got enough depth of compost, I get those buckets that bunches of flowers are in  super markets and flower shops when they are empty sometime they will give you them free or charge about 50p each, just make a few holes at the bottom put some gravel or stones at the bottom and fill with compost and away you go you can use them year after year also you can put the the old used compost on the garden for mulch in the winter.