Forum home Plants

How to grow some seeds i found 6 years ago.

Hiya, around about 6 years ago in spain i picked up 3 seeds under a tree near the beach. i have forgotten completely what seeds they are and need some advice on what to do with them as i would like to try and grow them. they have been in a cool dry place all this time i might add.

Here are the seeds /\

Thanks, Archie

• HCAHCA Posts: 129

I would try soaking them in water for 3-4 days and then sow them in the normal way.  Good luck!  They do look rather like maple seeds but I think that is unlikely and I do remember something similar on Madeira several years ago.  If they grow post a picture.

• pansyfacepansyface PEAK DISTRICT DerbyshirePosts: 20,548

Ah ha! I picked up some seeds just like that when I was in Spain too. 

Only trouble is, it was 30 years ago and I can't remember what they were.image

Jacaranda?

Apophthegm -  a big word for a small thought.
  • i think it might be some kind of sycamore but not 100% sure

• iceice Posts: 332
    Looks sycamore to me. The woods opposite seed profusely in my garden. Must dig another 2 up!
  • fidgetbonesfidgetbones Posts: 16,159

I was thinking the same, Archie.

If they grow, then the leaves should prove it one way or the other.

You don't stop doing new things because you get old, you get old because you stop doing new things. <3
  • *PLS READ* 

Do i just plant them like they are? or should i remove the 'wing' and also is there a shell around the seed? 

• HCAHCA Posts: 129

Personally I would sow them as they are but as you have two seeds you might like to remove the wing from one.  I don't think it will make any difference.  I would not remove the shell.  Seeds can sometimes take a few years to germinate, particularly if they have been dried out, as in your case.  The drying, I believe can induce dormancy in the embryo and this can take a while to break.  I suggested the soaking as this can help to break dormancy and soften the shell.

• HCA says:

I would try soaking them in water for 3-4 days and then sow them in the normal way.  Good luck!  They do look rather like maple seeds but I think that is unlikely and I do remember something similar on Madeira several years ago.  If they grow post a picture.

See original post

hey, this has started growing around where i planted the seed. not sure if it is a weed? what are your thoughts?image

• nutcutletnutcutlet PeterboroughPosts: 26,566

That's an interloper

• nutcutlet says:

That's an interloper

See original post

Whats that