Forum home Plants

Thompson & Morgan - damaged plants received

Belinda6Belinda6 Posts: 3

I received 3 damaged clematis from Thompson & Morgan, due to poor packaging and delivery. Customer Services were dismissive and unhelpful. I have had to prune back one of these to half its size as it was dying thanks to the damage, not sure yet that it will survive. I would not have bought these clematis had I known the state they would arrive in as well as subsequently receiving such poor customer service. I will not be ordering from Thompson & Morgan again and want to warn others to be aware of the problems I have had. I am sure there are others out there who have experienced similar problems.

• Sorry to hear that Belinda, it's so frustrating! I have had similar problems with clematis from Thompson and Morgan. They were a 'free' offer so I would have put it down to that, but Christmas plants bought for gifts also arrived in a terrible state. Also plug heuchera and heucherella, although on this occasion customer service refunded me and gave me a voucher. I definitely would recommend Crocus for good customer service and well packaged plants

• RedwingRedwing SussexPosts: 1,229

There are many bad reviews of the quality T&M plants, which is why I have only ordered bulbs from them.  Complain again and state you would like replacements as they were damaged in transit.  They can claim on their delivery co. You could also send pictures.

Based in Sussex, I garden to encourage as many birds to my garden as possible.
  • Belinda6Belinda6 Posts: 3

Thank you all for your comments, I will bear Crocus and Taylors in mind next time I am looking for plants. I usually buy from a local Wyvale garden centre but they could not supply the specific clematis I wanted on this occasion, so I purchased online. I chose Thompson & Morgan as they are partnering with Gardener's World Live 2016. It was a mistake.

• B3B3 South East LondonPosts: 22,306

I must admit that before reading the complaints, I would have expected to be able to trust an advertiser on this site. It unfortunately dents confidence in the others as well. Perhaps they might bring some pressure to bear

In London. Keen but lazy.
  • RedwingRedwing SussexPosts: 1,229

Verdun: I agree Wyevale's prices are high so I don't shop there.  I am lucky to have a very good family run nursery/garden centre very close by.

Never shopped at Taylors but they look good.....also our own Richard Hodson is very good for clems! 

Based in Sussex, I garden to encourage as many birds to my garden as possible.
  • Belinda6Belinda6 Posts: 3

Thanks again, I'll have a look to see if there are any of these garden centres locally. It's useful to be able to select your own plant so you know exactly what you are getting - you definitely take pot luck with on-line ordering! 

• fidgetbonesfidgetbones Posts: 16,156

last time there was a problem with T&M, someone from the company said that you get quicker results from complaining on their facebook page.

I dont have a facebook page, so my comment at the time , that it would help if they read their email, was not commented on.

http://www.gardenersworld.com/forum/plants/thompson-and-morgan---issues/285006.html

You don't stop doing new things because you get old, you get old because you stop doing new things. <3