Forum home Plants

Please help to ID the rose

Julia66Julia66 Posts: 5

Please help me to identify the rose!

It was given me as a gift several years ago. It was just one of those small roses sold in flower shops as "pot roses" which usually die soon after you buy them. So would do mine, if I didn't struggle for its survival. After two years of fighting all the diseases a rose might have, it nerly died. There was just a tiny leafless stem in a pot. However this year it gave a very strong shoot from the lower part of the stem. Obvioulsy, it was a "mother" plant. BUT! Its flower is 1,000 times more beautiful than the flowers this rose had in the beginning. It is a completely different plant. The flower is much larger. It even has a different shade of red (blazing blood red instead of simple red).

The "branch" is about 90 cm (about 3 feet) tall. It flowers on a this-year's shoot. The flower is almost flavourless. When the flower bud started to open it looked like a cabbage. I've attached a couple of pictures. Please, help me to find out the name of this beautiful "mother" flower.

• LoganLogan Posts: 2,532
    Sorry can't see photo comes up with errorsimage
  • Julia66Julia66 Posts: 5

I've made them smaller (I hope it helps).

Thank you! image It has very subtle fresh scent, mostly early in the morning.

I just need to know what to do with it next, because I'm going to put it in a bigger pot or a container (this plant becomes way too big for the small pot it is kept in now). Some say that the minimum size of the container vary depending on the variety. I gues it is a Floribunda rose (as it is often used to make "house" rouses), but I'm not sure... : / The only thing I know for sure, that it does not like sunlight from midday to 04.00 p.m. It definitely prefers half-shade.

• CeresCeres Posts: 2,126

It loooks like a hybrid tea rose. I have had one in a pot for years, it grows to about 4' tall, and it seems quite happy in semi shade. The pot is about 38cm diameter and 34 cm tall and I occasionally top up the compost and also feed the rose in the spring and once again later in the year.

• pansyfacepansyface PEAK DISTRICT DerbyshirePosts: 20,544

It looks a bit like Meillandina, but it could be anything.image

Put it in as big a pot as you can. Roses don't like having their roots disturbed. Put it outside for the summer. Even though they are sold as houseplants they really need coolness to keep them healthy.

Apophthegm -  a big word for a small thought.

Thank you very much for your advice! image I'm very much afraid to loose it after my amateur manipulations.