Forum home Plants

Rambling/Climbing Rose

Hello gardening friends image  Please could anyone advise me on a good disease resistant rambling or climbing rose in lilac/pink to climb up an old small tree. I have clay soil, it's in a sunny spot and the tree does not cast a lot of shade.  Would love a scented rose but to be honest anything to pretty up this old tree would be a blessing. I like small flowering clematis too so any ideas chucked my way would be most appreciated. Thank you in advance image  

• RedwingRedwing SussexPosts: 1,245

How big is the tree?

Based in Sussex, I garden to encourage as many birds to my garden as possible.
  • Just throwing another idea in there if you like scented - we have an old tree which is pretty much dead (but solid) so doesn't cast much shade. It has a huge jasmine growing up it right into the canopy. Looks beautiful when in flower and smells AMAZING - we have our garden furniture next to it to get the most of the benefit.

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 79,567

Have a look here http://www.classicroses.co.uk/productindex.php?type=rose&prodfinderformroseCondGrowingIntoTree=on

Lots of suggestions for roses suitable for growing into a tree - you can refine your selection for height, colour, perfume, soil conditions and other requirements.

Brilliant site and gold standard rose grower. image

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• pansyfacepansyface PEAK DISTRICT DerbyshirePosts: 20,554

If it's a tall tree, say 20 or 30 feet high, then you could do worse than try Paul's Himalayan Musk.

Apophthegm -  a big word for a small thought.
  • Aww thank you everyone.  I will check out the link image It's not a tall tree...maybe 15ft but it leans over quite a lot.  I do love Paul's Himalayan Musk, beautiful and I like the idea of a Jasmine too.  My tree does not cast a lot of shade either, very sparse so that would work lovely. Bless you all & have a beautiful day image

• RedwingRedwing SussexPosts: 1,245

Paul's Himalayan Musk is wonderful but I don't think your tree is big enough for it and also it may be pulled over by the weight of PHM when it matures.  It really does get enormous.

One I rather like is New Dawn which may be more suitable for your small tree.  It flowers over a long period and drops the petals rather than turning them brown and looks like snow on the ground....pretty.  It is mildly scented.

Based in Sussex, I garden to encourage as many birds to my garden as possible.
  • I think I might now be getting a New Dawn for my (not yet built) pergola - thanks Redwing!

• Thank you so much Redwing...I've just checked out New Dawn.  It looks likes it's tolerant of quite a few different aspects...love the idea of fallen petals all over the grass below too :)  Keenbutgreen I read that Jasmine is not too happy in a windy site which is where it would be if I planted it up the tree but I'm tempted to get one for a different area of the garden :)  

• Tara, mine has a large laurel hedge behind it, so isn't hugely exposed - although the garden still got quite windy over winter last year, although perhaps as an established jasmine it can deal with it better.

I've recently bought two more - a winter jasmine and a summer flowering jasmine - to wind through the wooden fence along my driveway. Haven't managed to kill them yet :)